My daughter is allergic to PB....can I feed old PB to our chickens?

Quote:
As I said I don't have any allergic reactions to anything I have been exposed to my entire 60 years so even though I partially understand what allergies are I have no depth of any personal knowledge. I am diabetic for example and being a type 2 diabetic I have gone to lengths to not only control it but to understand it completely so it becomes a non issue with me in my life. I have controlled weight, what I can and can not eat, what specific food raise or lower my blood sugar. Do not get me wrong I understand the fear and I believe its real. I am a father of 3 and have 3 grand children and would go to ANY length to protect them with my life even so I am not a person that is uncaring or not compassionate I just did not understand the severity of the allergy and as I said in my comment above it was not to be difficult or meant to be mean but the Original Poster said what would you do and without completely knowing what allergies we were discussing I made my post. In helping me understand and I have been reading what OP have said I do not disagree but I guess I do not fully understand the severity of what and how dangerous some allergies or how harmful they can be. I still am not so old that I can not be taught or learn. Thank you for being patient and willing to make comment bc I am the type of person that is willing to read and learn daily and this is good stuff. Thanx

Steve,

No problem on my end I just do not want to see anything happen to anyone. I am not allergic to PB but my son is. After having this we have read alot on it. I have heard of people dieing from being kissed by someone who ate a PBJ sandwich. Not something I want to mess with. Lucky fo us our son is of the age where he can read for ingredients and knows what to look for. And the type 2 it sucks as I am in the same boat with you.

I'd keep it to feed to non laying birds. I'm sure you'll sometime have chicks, or molting hens, etc. It's great protein and I see no reason to just discard it. If your two month chicks eat some everyday, that can't possibly effect your dd when they start laying eggs months later. Or, as mentioned, find other animals to feed it to.

Interesting thread! If I were in OPs situation I'd base my decision on a few factors: Past reactions, how long we'd known about the allergy, proximity to nearest hospital... If she'd had anaphalaxis in the past, no way. If it had been a contact or proximity reaction, no. If the reaction was just hives from ingesting whole product I might be inclined to feed it to the chickens (whole product like eating a pb&j as opposed to reacting to a 'may contain traces of' or 'manfct. in a shared facility'). If there is a contact or proximity reaction, I'd be worried about feeding it to any wild animals on my property because they can also possibly spread it throughout my land. Though the risk would be smaller than in the confined space of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom