My daughter's bunny died last night

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for the loss of your bunny. I have had bunnies in the past but never had this happen to them. Hope your other 2 bunnies are ok.

Any type of bacteria overload in a bunny can cause those symptoms. The flora in their stomach can be thrown off easily. Common causes are mold, bad food or treats, not enough hay, picking up a virus from another pet. Unfortunately bunnies like to die.
I worked at an exotic vet clinic for 5 years and we would see this issue quite often it even happened to my own bun
sad.png

Most regular vets run an abundance of cultures on exotic animal necropsy's simply because they have no idea what to look for. we only charged about $160 and the most common issue was a hairball (doesn't sound like your prob. though) or an overload of bad bacteria which lead to necrotic intestine.

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Last edited:
With the poo that you're describing, it actually sounds like the little one ingested too much fur. Rabbits shed year round, but any temperature changes will make them shed more. Rabbit poo should never be strung together if it is the normal sized poo. They do have a type of smaller really dark brown/black poo call night droppings, but they are held together with mucus. Were you giving her hay? Hay is the number one thing that rabbits need for good digestive health. Most rabbit pellets have hay in them, but it is normally chopped up too small to be any help in the fiber department.

She could have been taken away from her mom too soon, but most rabbits are weaned by 4 weeks old by their mother. I have two does who will nurse to 8 weeks but in my experience that's rare. This is one reason that I refuse to do business with any store that sells Easter Bunnies or chicks. I am guilty of buying chicks and ducklings from TSC this year, but they didn't get their first shipment of animals in until after Easter.

I'm sorry for your loss!
Hope this helps,
Emily in NC

Quote:
Could be, but I've also seen that with bunnies with bacterial issues where it comes out more like a log with mucus in it. Hairballs are quite common too though. If she was sick she was most likely not making cecotropes (night droppings).

Also what is TSC? I've heard a few people mention it.

I am really sorry you lost your bunny.

Keep in mind that rabbits, and other small "prey" animals, can be seriously ill for a very long time before they actually show any symptoms, so whatever your bun died from may have been there for weeks prior to her demise.

It could've been any number of things ..upper respiratory, improper food intake, gut stasis from sooo many causes, and so on.

I'm no expert, but my bun used our cat's litter box (and vice versa) for many years without ill effect ..so I don't think that was it, but wouldn't rule it out either.

If you plan to get another bunny, shelters and rescues are FULL of them.... why not give one of those bunnies a forever home?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom