My dear Maynard

Firefighter Chick

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Southeast Minnesota
I currently have my flock split up males and females except for Maynard, my buff cockerl, and Mansard, my special needs cockerel who is small for his age and has wry tail. those two boys are with the ladies. Last evening I was tending to the boy flock (who is soon to be going to freezer camp) and one of the boys from the boy flock shoots out from the door and promptly mounts a very unwilling pullet who screams her discontent. Maynard, the usually quiet and friendly flock keeper jumps to his feet. A brief quarrel ensues. I am still arranging feed dishes and what-not in the bachelors' quarters. As I finish up and go through the doori, I remember there's a extra boy loose and go looking for him. I find the wayward cockerel huddled in the corner. Maynard, my man, must of scared the jeepers out of him. All bark and little bite. What a good boy, Maynard.

Awww how funny! My little bantam cockerall is constantly trying to defend "his" buff orpington pullet from the bigger roosters through the chicken wire all the time. It's hysterical. He tries to match their crowing too which is even funnier! But he has graduated from sounding like a wounded frog to sounding like he has something stuck in his throat so it's getting better. Much to his dismay, about 20 new young birds just joined him in "his" pen.

Back
Top Bottom