My Delaware named Ms. Della. I'm thinking she s a he. Can anyone tell from this pic? I've had my chick since 1 week old and i just love it!

Not aggressive at all. Won't he fertilize my eggs
Yes, but no worries. People have been eating fertilized eggs for thousands of years. It is only in the last few years, relatively speaking, that people began to eat unfertilized eggs. As long as you are not Kosher, all will be well!

Yes, but that won't affect the quality of the eggs at all. As long as you regularly collect them from any broody hens, there will be no discernible difference
Thanks to all my new friends who provided me with valuable info. I just love my baby and have 3 hens that I got after her that are providing me with delicious eggs! My New Hamp ... Ms. Penne lays daily & I get the egg as soon as she gets off....no brooding

only want eggs to eat. can't have chicks running around yet until I move to a larger area...moving to TN next month.
First, a hen has to 'go broody'. This only happens when you don't want them to :lau JK - but with your new hampshire it should be occasionally if ever - like maybe once a year. Or maybe she never will at all. Also, she will probably only do this over the summer when the weather is nice. Now, if you have a silkie or a cochin, you may have to break their broodiness with ice or cold water here and there.

Anyway, only a broody hen will even sit on eggs, so if you pick yours up ever other day at minimum, you won't get any babies.

Back
Top Bottom