My Depressed Duck!! HELP!

Duck Mother

Hatching
Nov 1, 2020
Hi Guys,
I need urgent help!!

EDIT!!: Sadly this morning Sully passed away. I think maybe it was something else.

I have a duck (Sully) she used to have a best friend (Tully) But while incubating eggs she was pulled out of the nest by a predator (Fox) and eaten!
This happened about a month ago. And she has never been the same. She is no longer friendly to me like she was. She gets locked away at night and in the early morning is let out to forage and swim in a large dam. And stays about an acre of her enclosure and dam. She was eating and drinking and was nearly full of life but then she met a wild boy duck. And they were in love I guess. And the past 3 days he has ghosted her. I don't know if he has been attacked but he has not shown up.

And now she is depressed. She doesn't want to eat and I even have to pick her up from across the dam and she did not even fiddle in my hands. She just completely acted like she doesn't care what happens. She did not eat her dinner and is just acting like she is lonely and depressed. I read about it and it says she could die overnight. It is 6:15 where I am as of the time this was posted and obviously Sunday so no livestock petshops are open. I am worried she might leave me tonight. Will she? Do I get her a friend tomorrow morning? She is a very social duck, and since the break up the wild ducks aren't spending time with her and have ghosted her too. PLEASE HELP ME! I NEED SOME ADVICE FOR MY DEAR SULLY!!

(She is a 2-year-old Domestic (Indian Runner x Pekin) and was hand-raised since a baby.)

Last edited:
Can you bring her into the house? Let her spend that time with you? Maybe a warmish bath? I have always rehabbed my injured or upset ducks in the house with me. Apart from numerous injured or near-frozen patients, I had one who almost died from not getting off her nest. She weighed next to nothing and was so depressed. Once I got her weight up a little, I put a companion in with her (I have a recovery stall in a kennel outside) and left them isolated together for two weeks before letting them back out onto the property.

If you can have her in the house with you until you get a companion, that would be the route that I would personally take if it was happening with one of my girls. Regardless of what their mood is, I force my human-ness on them. For my restless/feisty ones, I wrap them in a towel and sit and snuggle with them on my lap. They realize very quickly that I'm just trying to help and will calm and just sleep on my lap with me stroking them consistently. All chores and responsibilities come to a grinding halt on those days and I just focus on my girls.

Keeping you two in my thoughts. <3

I’m so sorry. It’s hard not to second-guess ourselves. With every loss I’ve had, I remind myself that I gave them an incredible domesticated life. Passing you a huge hug from one duck momma to another.

Back
Top Bottom