My DH tried to help.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bubbazmommy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    and put grower pellets in my girls' feeder. Will they be OK? I switched it and gave them their regular food though. What should I expect?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You don't say what their regular feed is or how old they are?
    One round of grower pellets is not gonna hurt a thing.

3. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    bubbazmommy, You didnt say how old they are. I am going to hazard a guess that it will not harm them. How much did they eat? For one day...two days?
    I really think you will be ok. You switched it back so just watch them. Let me tell you what happened to me (several times this summer). When I went to the Feed store they did not have medicated chick starter crumbles. So I got non medicated. Then mixed it with the medicated when it came in later that week. The next time they didnt have non medicated chick starter so I had to get feed for game birds. I again mixed it when they got the non medicated in. This has happened several times. They are not perfect and there are alot of people out there with chickens. What I am trying to do is reassure you. They will be fine. [​IMG] You switched them back.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  4. bubbazmommy

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Quote:Sorry! My girls are.....6 months old and they get the layer pellets. Thanks for answering me. I don't have the heart to tell him he messed up but I will be labeling the containers now. I feel for him b/c the chickens are attached to me more than him but he loves raising them as much (well, maybe not as much) as I do. [​IMG]

5. bubbazmommy

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Quote:It was 2 days. [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't think any harm was done there! You switched them back, so they will be just fine and dandy. [​IMG]

7. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    My DH tries to help often too and like you, I'm the caretaker so they know me, not him. I feel so sorry for him when he can't get the goats to come to him and I can pet and do whatever to them I want. He tries so hard but working at least 6 days a week doesn't leave much time. He put sweet feed in my animals (goats and chickens) mineral box over the weekend....so I understand totally.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Oh yeah, right there with you. All I can do is smile (and grit my teeth), say 'thank you' and try to beat him to it next time. The absolute worst is when he screws up the dishes. He puts all my wooden utensils and my airbake cookie sheets in the dishwasher. :mad: "Thanks, honey."

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Bubz, its fine. I actually gave mine Fat and Finish during moult. They are layers, but this gave them more energy and their feathers came out with a nice shine. So just smile and appreciate that he actually noticed! LOL.

10. bubbazmommy

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Quote:Yep! Yep! Mine too. [​IMG]

He meant well and he does do all my carpentry work on the coop, building the chicken plucker, etc. so I will not complain. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by