My dirty little secret!!

hsm5grls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
tucson
O.K. Here goes. I am going to share with you all my most dirty secret. I smoke a pack a day. Maybe not a big deal to some but to me it is awful and embarrassing. I started smoking at 13 yrs. old and have smoked ever since. I stop during pregnancy and then as soon as possible I'm smoking again. It is a horrible addiction for me. I hate it. I am only sharing this with you because today I am quitting for ever, with the Lords help. I don't want to spend anymore of my families money on cigarettes. I don't want my kids to smoke or be around smoke. Ihate this habit and today it is over. Here is my plan. I am cutting back to 1/3 a cig. every three hours. today. When the cigs. I have are gone. that's it no more of my families money goes to cigs. Everyone who wants to quit with me leave a little note and we can be in this together. Lord help me this is going to be hard.
barnie.gif

I too started smoking at 13. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it is very hard to quit cold turkey. I quit when I was about 22 or 23. I had help though. Wellbutrin XL is an antidepressant but doctors do prescribe it as a quit smoking aid. AND it works. Not only did it make me stop smoking but it helped me calm down on the alcohol AND I lost 20 pounds when I was on it. Most people gain when they quit.

I've been on and off of Wellbutrin XL for a few years now, not for smoking but for my depression. In fact I'm going to the doctor soon to get back on it, I only got off because I thought I would start a family but nope.

I still smoke when I'm drinking but the next day I can easily put the pack in a drawer where it stays until the next weekend when I got out for beers.

I wish you luck and just so you know, the gum doesn't work either.

I took Wellbutrin to quit smoking about 7 years ago. It worked well, but it kept me awake at night. I stopped smoking for over two years at that time, but started again about five years ago.

Boy... this is a bear of a habit isn't it?!!. I stopped once for about a year and a half. -Did that cold turkey. My dad used zyban(?) and it worked for him. I used the patch briefly and can tell you it really helped but I was only using it only to keep me from smoking at work and would go home, take it off and smoke. It takes an enormous amount of personal resolve and willpower. There are quitter help lines. Remember to excercise when you stop. I wish you all the luck with this. You're right. It's an awful unhealthy habit. Lynn

Good for you! Growing up around a parent who smokes is a terrible thing. My husband's both parents smoke, he begged them to quit when he was young and it still bothers him that they couldn't or wouldn't Since you'll be saving so much money you should put it in a jar and save up for something special for you and your family. You'll then have a great memory of doing something great for the people you love. Best of luck. Jen
smile.png

I to started smoking at 13. At age 28 I quite for 6 years. During that time I went through a divorce and remarried. Guess what I strted back smoking after all that and am still smoking today. I want to quite but not right now. Things are still stressful for me and I do not drink (very, very rarely) so it is my only outlet.

Good luck quiting!!!!!!!! I hope you can do it!
wee.gif

I am so proud of you for quitting. When I quit, 7 1/2 years ago, I wore a patch for like three days. They gave me bad dreams and made my arm itch, so I went cold turkey. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't go cold turkey. It is a total mind thing, by that I mean if you get it in your brain that you won't smoke again, be strong, don't. I smoked at least a pack a day for like 5 years. I can't even believe that I used to smoke because now I can't stand the smell of it. I hate to be around it, it stinks. I've always heard that ex-smokers are the worst, and I am one of them. I mean I can't stand the smoke smell. As far as not smoking around your kids that's great. You know smoking around kids leads to more ear infections and sinus infections. It's not fair to the child either. Anyway, off my soap box, I am so proud of you for making this decision. Good for you and your family.
old.gif

yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif

Bravo to you for deciding to quit smoking! I have never smoked, but my mom did and I always said I would never do it. She quit for us and I'm glad she did!
I know it's hard, and I think dieting is hard, so I can't imagine quitting smoking!

You don't realize how bad you smell to non-smokers! (Does that help?
big_smile.png
)

I SUPPORT YOU! I'm with ya! I've been smoking for 20 years. I also started when I was 13. What is it with that age?!

I started taking Wellbutrin for depression and to help with smoking. I'm not quit completely but I'm trying. Maybe all of us smokers trying to quit or ex smokers could be a support for those of us who are trying to quit. I'm down from a pack a day to a pack in three to four days. But I want to quit completely.

I hate to smoke, I love to smoke. Its a nasty dirty stinky expensive habit and I love to smoke, hate to smoke. I'm on the fence. I think this is one of the hardest things I have to do.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom