Sigh...and BIG slice of humble pie.

The problem was that I had installed the wires on the opposite ends of the relay.

Looking at the relay without removing the socket I believed I had the ends correctly identified. I removed the socket and realized I had them flipped.

Everything works perfectly!

I am very happy and appreciative of the support. Diagram showed everything correctly.

Yippee!! Glad you got it! :D enjoy!

So what is the "secret" in eliminating the 2nd timer? How do you program the timer? Is there a tutorial in using the timer/dpdt relay? Thank you!

Hi there, this is awesome. Is there a way to set it up to use a light sensor instead of a timer? I worry about forgetting to change the timer and having this thing close before my hens get inside.

Thanks!

Seems like I might be odd chicken out on here and keep having issues!! Haha

Alright so everything works as it should. Door opens and closes per the timer. However, my battery keeps draining dead. I’ve realized through the help of a volt meter that my actuator has a continual draw on the system. Whether on or off.

During the day it’s fine because the solar panel keeps it charged. However, Over night the battery is drained dead.

Any one else have this issue? Would this also be a wiring goof on my part?

I’m using a 12v battery and solar charger.

Alright so everything works as it should. Door opens and closes per the timer. However, my battery keeps draining dead. I’ve realized through the help of a volt meter that my actuator has a continual draw on the system. Whether on or off.

Even with power to the actuator once the limit switch is reached no current should flow. I assumed you just checked for voltage and not current? If you disconnect the battery from the actuator does it spark? This would indicate current is flowing.

I'm guessing your using a 12v timer and a 12v relay. The relay will draw current if it's on (pulled in) all night. You might wire the actuator so the control relay if your using one is not energized at night.

What size is the battery?

JT

Even with power to the actuator once the limit switch is reached no current should flow. I assumed you just checked for voltage and not current? If you disconnect the battery from the actuator does it spark? This would indicate current is flowing.

I'm guessing your using a 12v timer and a 12v relay. The relay will draw current if it's on (pulled in) all night. You might wire the actuator so the control relay if your using one is not energized at night.

What size is the battery?

JT
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 12v 7 amp battery. Yes, all the parts are 12v. You assumed correctly, I did only check voltage but was able to watch the voltage drop. I’ll also do the check you mentioned for a spark.

By wiring the actuator, you mean to wire it so that the control timer is “off” at night? If so, I’ll also give that a try

jthornton, thank for the support on this. I think I might have finally solved the riddle, again:lau

If the door remains working...here’s what I did

1) Utilized electrical connectors for all points of contact

2) verified my timing setting was “on” day and “off” at night

3) through monitoring of the “on” and battery voltage, I found out that my solar is not able to keep up with the “on” draw on the battery. My solution is add another program. Now the door works like this...
“On” 6 am the door opens
“Off” 1 pm the door closes
“On” 7 pm the door opens
“Off” 8:30 pm the door closes

For the last few days the above steps have worked. Let’s see if it stays that way.

Thanks all for the quick response and support.

For those using solar power to charge their doors, what is the wattage size of the panels you are using? I'm currently using 1.8W and seeing that I may need to change to a bigger unit to meet the demands.

Back
Top Bottom