My DIY duck waterer

They have a pond for swimming in, this was more to give them fresh drinking water that they can't constantly crap in.
I hate to tell you but that's kinda what ducks do. What they can't eat they crap on... and sometimes what they can eat they crap on too. Ducks just crap everywhere.

Mine have the pond and still swim in every water bowl they'll fit in to!

The most duck proof water bowl I have is a tall sided bowl that narrows towards the top. It's still mucky with mud instantly mind :)

There really does not seem to be any way to keep ducks from crapping in their water. The fact that they have swimming water might help—mine stopped sitting in the crock pots when I started filling their mortar pans for "bathing" and splashing. However, anything that prevents them from crapping in the water probably also prevents them from cleaning their faces and beaks. While I find this an annoying thing, it seems to just be part of owning ducks.

'There are drawings for waterers that are buckets with holes cut, milk cartons, etc. However, I have muscovy ducks and two of the hens are laying eggs in a space approximately 4 inches by 8 inches wide underneath a shed. Ducks are very, very agile. If you want to try something different, Google "duck waterer" and look through the images. Something might work for you, but there's a good chance the ducks will do what they will.

Sure enough I've just seen one of the ducks in the drinking water. She did look like she was struggling to get out so I helped her out. As soon as I was out of the coop she was back in :barnie although this time she did get out by herself.

As a temporary measure I've used a small paving flag to cover about two thirds of the top and I'll look at a more permanent solution.

Sure enough I've just seen one of the ducks in the drinking water. She did look like she was struggling to get out so I helped her out. As soon as I was out of the coop she was back in :barnie although this time she did get out by herself.

As a temporary measure I've used a small paving flag to cover about two thirds of the top and I'll look at a more permanent solution.

Lol ducks give us no respect!
You might just want to add some crash mats around it as now you've thrown down the gauntlet and made it a challenge :p

We use our duckling drinker when they are small and then use a shallow pan when they're older. They get the pan to dunk their heads in and bathe. If they dump it out (I should say "when" they dump it) they can use the horizontal nipple drum to tide them over until I can go re-fill their pan.

0.jpg

0.jpg

That's great! You should consider patenting and marketing a "cleaner duck waterer" (after you tell us the details of how you made this). I have a trough with a wire guard over it which prevents the ducks from getting in it and fouling the water; it's better than an open pan or bucket but it was about $75.00 and the auto water feature leaked like a sieve so I just dump and refill it 2x a day. A waste of money IMO. Just a note: if anyone thinks an auto water feature saves time, think again. The water still gets filthy and needs to be dumped regularly. The only time saved is the few minutes standing there with a hose to fill the container. Live and learn!

We use our duckling drinker when they are small and then use a shallow pan when they're older. They get the pan to dunk their heads in and bathe. If they dump it out (I should say "when" they dump it) they can use the horizontal nipple drum to tide them over until I can go re-fill their pan.

That first video, wow, a thing of absolute beauty! Haha!

You should enter the current contest, pawtraitart, if you haven't already; your inventions are so great.

I wonder if it's too late to introduce horizontal nipple waterers to adult ducks?

Back
Top Bottom