my dog got ahold of my hen....

justin7

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2016
So I threw a treat out to my dog and Unfortunately one of my hens went after it. My dog had the chicken pinned down and had his chops around her. I got my dog off and he ended up getting released from me and he almost got her again. I checked her over to see how her wounds are and this is what she got. She doesn't seem to be in shock, or no broken bones. But I am concerned about her wing and what I should do and put on it. But here it is. I feel awful for her, I'm just worried she has some sort of internal bleeding.

Last edited:
Well, I would cleanse the wound out with saline wound wash, then apply some triple antibiotic ointment. I would also quarantine her from the rest of the flock. You could give her half tablet of baby aspirin dissolved into her waterer, for the pain.

Well, I would cleanse the wound out with saline wound wash, then apply some triple antibiotic ointment. I would also quarantine her from the rest of the flock. You could give her half tablet of baby aspirin dissolved into her waterer, for the pain. 

Oh okay thank you.

How is she doing today?

I think she is doing alright. The feathers haven't started growing back yet, and none of the chickens peck at her. She is kind of the odd ball of the bunch and keeps her distance from the rest of the flock. She never really seemed hurt. The first 30 mins right after the dog had her in his chops she was no where to be found. But ever since it's like nothing happened. I was mainly worried for internal bleeding. I figured it being 5 days after the incident she would be dead by now if there was any internal bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom