My dog got ran over and lived to bark about it!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LegHorn-BusHorn, Nov 25, 2009.

1. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Yes, my 3.5 lb. min-pin got ran over by a car and is just fine. It is quite a miracle that Dolly survived. She somehow got out of the fence and my husband noticed that Dolly had quit barking for a while ( Dolly always barks when she is outside) he went to check on her and he saw her heading to the street he called out to her and just in that instant a car came roaring down the street and ran over her. My husband didn't know what to expect when he went to get her. She was laying with her head up, so he picked her up brought he in and put her on a blanket. There was no blood or any other signs of injury. She did how ever started favoring one back leg. But, around 1 hour later she just got up and started running around like normal. Eating, drinking and doing her business as normal. Upon my closer inspection, it does appear her back foot was ran over, it is a little swolen and some of the fur is gone. The real miracle is that she is 17 years old and I got her as a rescue dog 4 years ago to date. It's unimaginable how she got so lucky and a gift from above for me. I am thankful she survived and would be heartbroken if she hadn't. Here is a photo of Dolly the little black one, Toti, the larger dog and myself taken a couple of years ago. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hurray for Holiday Miracles!!

Glad everything is ok!

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Aww, what a wonderful story! Glad she is doing well!

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] Glad she wasn't hurt! [​IMG]

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a big ole' Boxer named Hendrix that was always playing with a beagle from up the street. We live in a tiny one-horse town, and dogs run loose, so don't anyone think I am trying to start an issue with stray dogs. Hendrix was at the edge of the road "talking" with his buddy and this huge camper came through town, (we are sort of a short cut road, takes you anywhere and everywhere) and without looking, Hendrix walked right out in front of it. Luckily, it wasn't going fast, but it rolled Hendrix like a doughnut. Our son just happen to see this happen, and he just knew that was the end of Hendrix. Not so, he jumped up as soon as that camper passed over him and ran over to the Beagle like: "DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!! I GOT RUN OVER BY A BIG CAMPER!!! I THOUGHT I WAS A GONER!!" Never put a scratch on him!! Lucky dog you have too!!!

6. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    HOLY MOLY! No kidding about the miracle thing! WOW!!!

7. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky! Mine lived to bark about it too. I'll have to look for the pic... he lost feeling in one of his front legs for about a week and his jaw was broken in 4 places. He had a crazy brace/thing on his lower jaw for 2 months with 11 pins in his jaw to hold it in place. A year later and he's going back in to have a tooth removed that was broken in half. Poor guy, yet he still loves me!

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    You should still take Dolly to the vet for a check up today. She could have internal injuries that aren't showing up right now. It would be awful if tomorrow morning you woke up and found her dead from injuries you weren't aware she had. Take care, and happy Thanksgiving!

9. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I was just going to post that. Better to get her checked out after an ordeal like that.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So glad that shes okay! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by