1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog got sick from eating chicken pooo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by makern12, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If chicken poop is harmful for dogs, my dogs are superdogs!!! [​IMG] I free range 30 chickens over an acre+ and I challenge anyone to find chicken poo in my yard! [​IMG]

My dogs regularly climb up into my compost bin and raid the coop residue.....chomp on them like they are chewy treats! Most hilarious to drive by and see a big, white dog standing in a compost bin chewing mightily..... [​IMG]

And....the chickens go up in the orchard and scratch, pick and scatter the dog poops...so we have cleanup on both ends. I love the symbiosis of it all........ [​IMG]

2. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    You know, oddly enough my dog doesn't eat chicken poo...she eats almost any other type of poo though! Horse poo is an absolute favorite...sometimes it comes back out pretty much looking the way it went in [​IMG] She'll eat cat poo too, and loves chicken feed and horse feed.

It's quite gross, but what do you do? You can't watch them every second of every day while on a farm.

Maybe your pup learned a lesson? Although I wouldn't be surprised if the pup ate something other than chicken poo to make her sick.

UC

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oh my gosh, what revolting creatures dogs are!! It's a wonder anyone puts up with them. Oh, well, except for the fact that they love unconditionally. Hmm. Perhaps worth a little poo-eating then!

Our chihuahua ADORES any kind of poop she can get, including rabbit, deer, chicken, HER OWN (UGH!!) and has never gotten sick from eating any of it. I'm just glad we don't have horses around. The foolish little glutton would most likely eat herself into an early little grave. [​IMG]

4. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My dog loves chicken poop, especially when it is frozen into a poopcicle.

Today, she got into the chicken poop and then we went hiking. She definitely had an extra-odiferous bowl movement -- but did not seem to be ill.

YUCK. But that is who she is.

5. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Well now, isn't this a lovely discussion [​IMG] That being said, yeah, our dogs will eat pretty much any kind of poo they can find - aww, lovely poo treats, yumyumyum! It's never made them sick, but they also have cast iron stomachs and can eat the grossest things (and people wonder why I don't like my dogs licking my face). I have to agree with a couple of the other posters that your dog probably wasn't used to it and it maybe gave him some tummy upset. Try to convince your wife to let the chickies run free and let your doggie out, but supervise his intake and keep him in an easy to clean area just in case. Yep, quite the lovely discussion [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Liz

6. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    just ask my dog... chicken poop is a delicacy around here. she loves the stuff. I ask our vet about it as well. no problems he's aware of. i've been thinking i don't feed her enough if she's gotta eat chicken poop.

7. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    do chickens really crap that much ? i just ordered 8 chicks from meyers and was going let them free range when they got older .. i might rethink that idea. i do not want my dog eating and tracking chicken crap in the house

8. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    Quote:oh yea, they poop a whole lot! eat, poop, eat, poop... all day long

9. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    looks like the birds will stay in the coop [​IMG] which is probably best anyway ... the dog would probably kill them . then i would get hollared at by the old lady because i let the dog get away with murder

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:=/- 20 chickens = around 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket full of poop DAILY
    [​IMG]

that's with free access to food 24 hours a day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by