My dog just pulled out roosters tail feathers & now there is blood!!!

Awwww, I hope Roo has a speedy recovery!

I found this site via Google. I feels so bad! No chickens were harmed, but this morning, my dog tried to attack 2 of my neighbor's chickens. I took him over there to play with their dog. My dog previously did fine with the chickens... didn't chase them. This morning, it's like he got a taste for them. I'm pretty banged up from trying to get him off of two chickens. It seems that he just go a mouth full of feathers. My concern, however, is that when I went back to check on the chicken, I saw that he had plucked her back end nearly bear. She had one, light-colored drop of blood, but that's all from what I could tell. Naturally, she wouldn't let me near her. Well, this weekend it's getting down into the 30's, and I'm afraid that the chicken will freeze to death. They have a nice coop with bedding that's completely enclosed. I just feel really bad. My neighbor is away, and my landlord is caring for the dog, chickens and bunnies. He laughed the incident off, but I am really torn up about it. I have 3 cats, 3 dogs and 2 rabbits that were all rescued. I'm also a vegetarian. I'm just so worried about this chicken. Will the others peck at her? I know nothing about chickens. The people are coming home today, I think. I will go over and talk to them. Any advice or insight as far as anything I can do to help this chicken? I can't tell how she's doing.......

Thank you in advance!

Here is finally a pic of what our sultan roo looks like now
81936_sam_1218.jpg

That was a good link on bloodfeathers. I read that if one breaks the clotting can cause kidney damage. Oh, no. Something new to worry about... I checked my roo's roost and there is no blood on it, and he seems to be resting well this evening. I have him in the solarium, apart from the hens in the coop, so they don't peck on the bloody spots.

I did find a link saying cats can pull out feathers, but I don't think my cat did this. I tend to think my rooster must have bumped into something while mating with a hen, and that may have broken a feather casing? That is my best guess at this point.

In the morning I guess I will let him out early to mate with the hens in the wide open, and then keep him separated free-ranging, most of the day, to give his tail a chance to heal. I need to look it over closely to see whether there is a broken blood feather.

Thank you for all this info! Our 14 week old roo "*******" has bloody tail feather stumps and I was able to squeeze out black goo - almost like the remains or the begginings of a feather along with some blood. He's resting comfortably now in the front yard away from all the other chickie-doodles, but we'll check him later and pluck a few shafts if we have to!

Any other thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My duck looks to have similar wounds inflicted by my Shepard puppy, but the area of damage is most of her back... this pick is the first I've seen that looks so raw and exposed and completely pulled or skinned like my duck is. Did you find anything to help take down the inflammation and or irritation ? and how long did it take for her to start healing?

Hi my peeking was injured similar to your ducks injuries, but she got it alot worse her whole back is plucked and raw looking like the pic you show of yours.. how long did it take for her to start to heal? did you find anything to be very helpful with the process of even help with the sheer irritation? does the skin look that way cause of the plucking or is there actually a layer of skin missing? im taking her to a vet tomorrow and just kinda want to know what im up against...thank so much hope to hear from you soon

My RIR, roughly 12 Weeks old, had her tail feathers plucked out sometime this morning. It's a raw mess back there now, I have her separated, but she seems to be picking at them herself now!!!! She won't eat her own flesh will she? Is she only trying to clean herself?? I'm going to read about the blood feathers now, but I need help on what I can do to get her from messing with it so it can heal. Thanks for any help!!!

Back
Top Bottom