My dog killed my ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruth,
My chickens and my dogs free range as well, for the very same reasons as you. Raising animals in the country is MUCH different than having them in the city, and many people just do not realize that. Keep doing what you're doing, cuz it's what works for you!

OH, Ruth I am so sorry. I know what you are going through. We have had the same experience but not in those numbers. We got rid of the dog. I, too, free range and will not live on pins and needles waiting for the next incident to happen. So sorry
hugs.gif

I agree with amazondoc 100%. If you live way out in the country then you can certainly build a very larg enclosure just for the chickens and ducks. It wont even be like they were caged if it was big enough so you always have a choice to be proactive. Amazondoc hit the nail on the head with what has been stated. You can build your enclosure and have the dogs free range allthe time and not have to lose anything. Best of both worlds sounds better than living a very short life and dying a brutal death.

This may sound mean and some people may not agree with it, but our dog had a terrible deer chasing problem. Where we are, poeple will shoot them for that. So I bought a shock collar, put it on him and drove around for two days, let him out where he could see the deer and as soon as he took off after them I zapped him. I never did it again except for those two days but even 3 years later he still comes right to my side if he smells a deer. I also used this on my in-laws french bulldog after it killed 2 chickens. I know its harsh and hated to do it, but man, did it ever work. He goes out of his way to stay away from the chickens. Obviously this is only 2 times that I've used it and it may not work for others but it is worth a try.

Quote:
Would you leave an infant out in the forest? No, of course not. Would you let your children wander off in a big city, just because they thought it was fun? No, of course not. Would you let a child run with scissors because they felt like it, or jump in an unfamiliar river just because it looked cool?

We don't just trust in God to keep our children safe, we make sure that we keep an eye on them ourselves. We protect and restrict our children in order to keep them safe, even if they tell us that we're evil and mean and ruining their lives for doing so.
wink.png

Amazon - last time I checked livestock were not children and farmers have been having chickens loose on their farms since the dawn of time.

I raised my three children in a very sheltered and protected environment while encouraging them to try all things and to have no fear. My oldest daughter recently graduated LSU grad school with a perfect 4.0 gpa in mental health- she has been given a very prestigous job at a rich and famous mental health resort at a high 6 figure income - some of her summer jobs while in school included being head of Young Repulican Party in DC and nanny to a DC VIP. My son served in Iraq. I must be doing something right to have three wonderful children who have been self sufficient and faced life fearlessly and with gusto all of their lives.

Peruvian Princess - thanks for the suggestion. In essence we have a large enclosed area that I call The Yard. Two large adjoining yards with picket fences. It's where I raise them all till they are grown so I do keep them protected till they are old enough to free range. However building an enclosed run to keep all of the poultry in would still be a cage. In a very short time it would become full of poop and void of all bugs. The chickens would not be able to run and forage in the woods or fly up into trees or get the miles of exercise they get running around here and I would not be able to have them accompany me on my walks around the property and in the woods. A cage, no matter how big, is still a cage. Confined chickens act differently, like monkeys that are caged, they take on behaviors that are not natural/normal. Mine don't feater eat - pick on one another - I mix al age groups - they just don't have the issues that people seem to think are "normal" for chickens. They are noticeably happier and get along well with all age groups and with the ducks, cats, and dogs.

GypsyGirl - I may try the shock collar. Didn't think of that and NO they are not cruel. They are very effective teachers. I had to use one initially on Rex a couple of times because he would drag me when I put a leash on him. Only took once or twice before he learned the word "wait". Had to use one on Lucy, once, when we first got her because she would take off running whenever we let her out of house and would run across street, down street, into neighbors yards (our other home) and chase their cats, dogs. Again only took once. I may give it a try again - put it on and wait till she goes near ducks and giver her a little zap.

To everyone else who've offered condolences - thank you very much. Free ranging does work around this farm and I don't even consider this a free ranging/predator kill - this is more of an inside job from my own dog and if I can't teach her I will have to find her another home because I, like Ozark Hen, don't intended to live on pins and needles watching the dog every minute and constantly locking and unlocking gates and fences. For one year everything and everyone has lived in harmony free ranging, eating, sleeping together. I'm still not sure why she saw the ducks as different but I'm working on it.

I was just looking at your baby duck pictures on Sunday, showing my daughter how cute they were.
sad.png
I'm sorry you lost them. My condolences.

well, i hope you learned your lesson Ruth. ducks arent meant to live outside in the cruel cruel world. they should only be kept locked in a bathroom where its safe. only allow them to swim in Evian water, as all other water has impurities. and make sure there are no windows in the bathroom as sunlight causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom