My Dog Wants to Murder my Chickens

erinschickens:
I know a guy back in Missouri who trains dogs using a shock collar to teach the dog all the "do's & don'ts".

However, as he said it takes a lot of time, effort and patience. After all the objective is to teach the dog not torture it.

Kentucky

i recently had the same issue with my two dogs and have been problem free for a couple of months now. what i did was put the chicks in a place where my dogs could see them up close but not hurt them(in a wire cage on the floor outside) i then went inside where i could see the dog but she couldn't see me and every time the dog got to close to the chicks i zapped her with a shock collar i wanted her to think the chicks were the one doing it and she leaves them alone now it took about five sessions i had to buy a collar about $132 on ebay and its a little crude but its cheaper then building a big run and my chickens get to enjoy my five acres- good luck

Quote:
Every chicken I ever lost to one of my dogs met its end exactly that way--by flying into the yard where the dogs were.

That was back in the days when I was an "accidental" chicken-keeper. There were chickens on the property when I bought it--I never even fed or watered them! They were my "chickens in the mist," appearing and disappearing at will.

Back
Top Bottom