My Dog Wants to Murder my Chickens

erinschickens

Hatching
11 Years
May 4, 2008
My dog has extremely strong predator inclinations. I got some chicks and hoped she might bond with them when they were little peepers. But no, she wants to murder them instead. They've had to be in my attic (driving her nuts with their peeping) since they day we brought them home.

The poor things are going to have to live in their coop forever. Any ideas for how to cure a vicious killer of her chicken-killing desires?

It sounds to me like U have a could have a huge problem!
old.gif
What breed of dog do U have? When these predator inclinations are bred into a dog, its just about impossible to change them.

if your dog kill's chicken's.....take the dead bird and the dog....put em in a 55 gallon drum with a lid on it....roll it down a big hill....it will stop the dog from killing again.....it worked for me....good luck

The dog is not being vicious. She's being a dog. My irish wolfhound mix doesn't want to kill my chickens, she just wants to play with them (and has tried). Either way the end result is the same...a dead chicken. Best to keep the two seperate.
You can fix them a good sturdy run that the dog can't get into. That way they won't be stuck in their coop all the time and will not only be safe from your dog, but other critters as well.

I agree build them a run where they are safe. It is naive to think that a dog any dog will not play with, chase or even go after a chicken, maybe not the first time, but eventually even in play it can happen and the bird dies.

I would never put my dogs in the position of playing to rough or chasing or even learning that hey chickens are a blast. Right now as babies I allow them access with me to the chicks, just to desensitise them to having chickens around. I will never be foolish enough to allow them free range or access to one another. We have even Gone so far to build a run inside another tightly fenced in area, that the dogs are not allowed access to. If you take on any animal no matter what it is you are responsible to keep them safe. If you cannot afford to, then save until you can or pass on getting things you cannot protect.

Sorry if this is harsh, but if you cannot provide adaquate housing, then deal with the losses you will incur. I believe those who cry after the fact asked for it to begin with, if they do not provide and keep the chickens safely housed. But then again maybe it is a way to get sympathy and freebies. Who knows, maybe they just really don't care and have the mentality they are only chickens. :mad:

Thanks all, for the thoughts.

Dilly, I'm not sure how you interpreted my post to mean that I can't afford to or don't intend to keep my chickens safe. Getting feedback from other people who have good ideas to share is part of that process.

I am sorry, I certainly did not mean you or anyone in particular. I was just ranting I guess about dogs and chickens in general.

Please do not take my post personally. Just my opinions on the safety of both animals and how they can live in harmony, from afar.
wink.png

Dilly

I have 14 dogs I have three or four that would not kill a chicken that leaves 10 that will.
I have a huge fenced yard for the dogs and I have a secure run for the chickens.
When the chickens are out from 8 am til 5 pm no dog gets out of the fence. When the chickens go in then the dogs can come out.......It is a juggling act.....It can be a pain, but it is the reality around here. I started the pet (dog) rescue long before I had chickens.
It is a give and take relationship.
But in order for me to be happy with my dogs and my chickens, cats, goats and rabbit I have to take responsibility and keep them all safe.
I admit I have failed a couple of times and each time I learn from my mistakes, but I have a nice flock and I have wonderful dogs.......
Good luck to you.....

Last edited:
I can understand your concern. My 5 dogs would all like to eat my chickens. I have the heavy 2X4 fence with 1X6 Locust boards around the bottom. That has kept my chickens safe. However, you will also need to cover your run. I had a hen that was very friendly and she insisted on flying over the fence into the backyard to get to where we were.

Back
Top Bottom