My dogs and my chickens

Our 13 month old Husky got into our run and coop and slaughtered half our flock -
hit.gif
:hit:hit:hit- we had to surrender her to the Humane Society to protect not only the rest of our flock, but to avoid getting sued by neighbors in the event she went after theirs. We both allow our pullets free range outside of their run afternoons/evenings once they are done laying. Can only imagine how much worse it could have been.

This is a great thread thanx for posting.

We have a Short hair border collie and a stumpy tailed red heeler both girls were semi rescue (from my SIL's EX) and both come direct from working lines though are not good for working so have since become pets.

My red heeler (Sheba) would LURVE a tasty chicken snack but is too busy chasing my horses when she is off her tether and the Border collie (Shilo) just stalks and stalks them.

She gets SO "in the zone" she won't listen to voice commands so I try to deter her with a good crack of the stock whip. Not hitting her just making a loud crack which she hates

I am hoping they will settle but I am afraid Sheba is too old and set in her ways and Shilo well.... she just copies Sheba regardless of what we do or say
hmm.png

i have three dogs and one of them has broken into 2 of my pens and killed 20 chickens:hit nothing will hold her back . we put in a pen at night and when the chicken are out she's calmed down a little but if you can. keep the chickens awwwaaaayyyy!!!!!!1

I have three Chinese Crested. The breed was developed as ratters, so anything small and fast gets their attention big time. I have 23 week old chicks in the brooder, so I take all three Cresties in the coop with me when I check on them. These are my first chickens and the dogs have never seen one before now. I am hoping they will eventually become protective of the chickens, or at least ignore them instead of trying to eat them. They are learning that these little "things" are MINE and that they are not to touch them. Two of them are now almost afraid of the chicks, but the oldest Crestie gets in "the zone" as someone posted about their Border Collie, and I have to "tccchhht" bite him to get his attention. I also have used an ultrasonic emitter that I keep in the coop to get their attention. We'll see how it goes, but I agree that training, training, training is the only solution.
fl.gif

Ewwww, LOL. I think if you can manage with those two breeds it gives me great hope. LOL I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about the chicken poop pez dispenser.

Back
Top Bottom