My dogs are herding the chicks like nuts!

Castironkitchen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
So my sheltie/Eskimo mix who is 8 years old along with my chic/bull terrier are non stop with herding the chicks. It is obsessive with the sheltie mix. The sheltie mix who is usually relaxed pulled alpha on the bull terrier mix and now she is not allowed in the room via the sheltie mix with the chicks. Has to be near the brooder box (chicks 1 week old), nuzzling them in a very small group constantly to where they really can't walk anywhere.

So how do I help her herd a little less, relax her as the "mom" and get these chicks to enjoy the outside without being shoved together?

It is so silly but annoying at the same time!

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

How about sitting down with them and forcing the dogs on a leash to hold. Train them to "HOLD" it is normal for a herding dog to have hand and voice commands. Train and force them to Hold on command.

We do have a Stay command that she follows well. It is then the whining and yelping she admits for the next 30 minutes that makes this difficult as well I have to remove her from the room. Thank you for the suggestion. I never thought her herding or mothering instinct would be this strong this many years later and not having any pups of her own.

Back
Top Bottom