My dogs ate my chicken!

Quote:
i was given a Doberman years ago who was a chicken killer. The owner's wife had show birds and the dobe killed them every chance she got ( she also would point and flush quail almost into your hands...) They ended up hanging a dead bird around her neck until it rotted off basically. Teak never messed with chickens again...everything else was still fair game to her though.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

My dog slipped his training collar and killed my only hen. I tried so hard to save her but I am too old and this dog is smart. He's really a very social dog but a killer with the fowl. No more chickens for me.

I have four dogs. The Chihuahua thinks the chickens are HIS. The Great Dane just likes to eat their poop. One pit bull ignores them completely. The other pit loves to "bowl" for chickens. If they are all standing in a group she runs through the middle of them. We free range the birds in the summer and other than the bowling the dogs ignore the birds. Here is a photo of our Chi sharing a snack with the birds

If you want dogs and chickens to co-exist, you are going to need family involvement.  Whatever you decide to try, everyone has to do the same as you.   If the dogs can't be let out (to poo) without attacking chickens, then they MUST never be let out (by anyone) when chickens are loose.  Or you need to keep them on a leash,  or kept in an solid dog run with no way to escape accidentally.

Something has to give,  free range chickens and free ranging dogs will never work for you.  One or the other has to stay in  a secure run and stay there.  Even if you supervised the dogs outside you couldn't  be as fast as them.   They must be on leash or try the shock collar type deal.  Depending on how "driven" they are - one shock might work, or they may need frequent reminders.

I'm not sure how it happened for us, but all of our kids play great with each other..lounge.. live together
Dachshund, bullie/boxer mix, 2 cats
One turkey~ she lost her mate, but has been accepted by the 10 hens and 3 roosters.
I am so in love with my family and my life

I'm not sure how it happened for us, but all of our kids play great with each other..lounge.. live together
Dachshund, bullie/boxer mix, 2 cats
One turkey~ she lost her mate, but has been accepted by the 10 hens and 3 roosters.
I am so in love with my family and my life

This could be ME talking about my world lol
Doxie, english-boxer mix, 2 cats outside, and 2 roos, 10 hens *getting more, 4 royal palm turkeys
The kitties rub up on the chickens..chickens don't mind, sometimes one roo will think...ahhh, funny looking hen, but "I'll try"
Smh
I'm so in love with my world too♡♡♡

This could be ME talking about my world lol
Doxie, english-boxer mix, 2 cats outside, and 2 roos, 10 hens *getting more, 4 royal palm turkeys
The kitties rub up on the chickens..chickens don't mind, sometimes one roo will think...ahhh, funny looking hen, but "I'll try"
Smh
I'm so in love with My life

OMG...THAT IS ME..I REPLIED ON MY ((((OWN)))) POST
LAWDDDD

Back
Top Bottom