My dogs attacked my flock!

Montgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Help! My dogs somehow got into my coop and attacked two of my chickens, one was dead (No body found just feathers and feet) but one is still alive with alot of injuries, wing seems broken and lots of blood and wounds to its back, it's legs and face are ok. It's not letting me post a picture but should I try and treat the injury or just put it down, I have it separated and have treated her with vertricin. I'm such a mess over here! Help!!

Help! My dogs somehow got into my coop and attacked two of my chickens, one was dead (No body found just feathers and feet) but one is still alive with alot of injuries, wing seems broken and lots of blood and wounds to its back, it's legs and face are ok. It's not letting me post a picture but should I try and treat the injury or just put it down, I have it separated and have treated her with vertricin. I'm such a mess over here! Help!!
How is your girl doing? Chickens do heal from ghastly wounds and are very resilient creatures. Clean wounds with a diluted peroxide solution initially,then clean daily with a saline solution. Apply an antibiotic ointment to wounds,nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens or use the vetericyn. You will have to decide if wounds need to be covered,the rule of thumb is leave uncovered as wounds will heal from the inside out,but if wounds are very severe they may need to be covered with a gauze wrap or if you suspect lungs/air sac may have been punctured/exposed then i would wrap to prevent any contaminants from getting in lung/air sac. Is she having breathing difficulties? Do the wounds first then check wing.

For her wing,can you feel where the break is? You could wrap wing close to body(over broken wing and under good wing,in a figure eight,not too tight)but make sure no wounds are located under wing. If she is distressed about wing being wrapped,then just leave wing,worse case scenario is she will have a droopy wing,which is fine. I am thinking because of the severe wounds on her back,you might be better just leaving wing alone and not wrapping it at all.This is your call,determine if wrapping wing will irritate wounds on back.

Keep her warm,this is very important as birds cannot regulate their body temp when ill/injured,give electrolytes for shock,encourage her to drink. For pain you can purchase Metacam from a vet or give her a baby aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally. WAIT for severe bleeding to stop before giving aspirin. Keep her inside and keep her separated from other birds.

Watch for infection,signs of infection are : foul smell coming from wounds,bird becoming lethargic,not eating/drinking.

Last edited:
I am so sorry your going through this. You will have to decide if she needs to be put down, if the injuries are a lot, this will help with the decision. Shes probably is in shock, bring her in a warm room at about 85. Keep her in a dark room., helps with being in shock. If she survives, treat her with antibiotics because of the bites.

When one of my chickens was attacked by fox, my husband gave her penicillin that was injectable ( needle one) for 3 days. ( one shot a day)
My husband got the penicillin at Tractor supply store that is for horse.. Because they didn't carry for birds here.
We didn't have a choice.. I am not sure if it was safe to use it.
But she got well remarkably after that .

We would give up if she had a big hole in her neck but it was just wounds.

How is your chicken ?

Even she looks like dying, she could make it if she is not seriously damaged.

I am sorry for your loss and the injured chicken.

What would you do for your dogs by the way?
I was little concerned about it because more likely your dogs do the same thing again if they have a chance.

Last edited:

I just thought that dogs don't kill to eat chickens.. They do that as a sport ..
One was left with only feathers and feet.... That is rare to me.

I just thought that dogs don't kill to eat chickens.. They do that as a sport ..
One was left with only feathers and feet.... That is rare to me.

Not really.

I wouldn't discuss the dog, its a terrible thing that happened and is upsetting to for this person right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom