My dogs attacked my flock!

I used to volunteer at a raptor rehabilitation facility. All of the advice here is sound. If you can't locate the break, but still feel that the wing is broken. Try wrapping it in a normal position and then secure it to the birds body to hold it in position. The wrap will need to be changed every couple of days. It really is remarkable what birds can recover from!

Once my husband got home we decided to put her down :( it was such a hard choice but what I thought was her wing was her breastplate, it was completely detached from her, her wounds to her back were pretty severe. I don't know what to do with my dogs yet, I don't blame them, they are dogs but its just devastating! We rescued all 3 of them and they are my babies. I put them in their crates for the night and this morning I made sure I put locks through each latch on the coop. Thank you everyone for your words of support and advice. This was one of the worse things I have ever witnessed. And my boys who are 6&8 are devestated.

My lab is acting like a lunatic! He's running all around the coop trying to get in. Any advice on how to train him to leave the poor hens alone? I was happy to see that my two EE's laid for me this morning so at least the stress from yesterday hasn't halted them laying.

My lab is acting like a lunatic! He's running all around the coop trying to get in. Any advice on how to train him to leave the poor hens alone? I was happy to see that my two EE's laid for me this morning so at least the stress from yesterday hasn't halted them laying.
I never,ever allow my black lab around my chickens to big a risk,he is trained to retrieve birds and shows way too much interest in them.

So how do you keep him away from the coop? @ten chicks My lab is a rescue and has been fine with all my livestock until yesterday. We live on 30 acres and nothing is fenced. Maybe I need to invest in some fencing.

Quote:
I would definitely invest in some fencing. I have a great pyr mix and a border collie mix and both of them have killed a chicken before due to my carelessness. The best way I found was to buy an e-collar. Some people are really against them but I bought one that has both shock and vibrate settings and just using the "vibrate" button snaps them out of their attention toward the chickens. I will never be able to trust my dogs around them but I at least like being able to get their attention when they are fixated on the chickens.

That will be a big challenge for you, but as I know after this happens, you should never ever trust your dogs. Even they have trained by e-color, they may be smart to enough to know when the color is not on.

I didn't train my dogs not to hurt my chickens...our chickens and dogs live with us inside the house. So they know our chickens are also our family.

Even though I don't trust my dogs toward somebody's chickens, or any small animals... One of my dogs white German Shepherd loves to chase after to investigate.

Last edited:
So how do you keep him away from the coop? @ten chicks My lab is a rescue and has been fine with all my livestock until yesterday. We live on 30 acres and nothing is fenced. Maybe I need to invest in some fencing.

I am so sorry for your losses. Hugs

You could fence in your birds, make them a run. If the dog still try's to get in, an electric fence could be put up around the outside of the fence. Unfortunately, once the dog gets the taste of blood, they won't stop. Again I am so sorry you and your family had to go through this. Stuff like this happens.

Back
Top Bottom