My drake has a problem

WizChick

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Oregon City, OR
On Thursday I came home and found my runner drake with his man part hanging out. I observed him for a while and it was clear that it had been out and wasn't going back in. When I locked them up for the night I brought him in, let him enjoy a warm bath and locked him in the dog kennel indoors for the night. His situation didn't change by morning. My vet was kind enough to consult about it and suggested I help my drake pop it back in. The vet suggested that we could sucher it in if it won't stay.
Has anyone else had this problem? The vet said it's common in cold weather. Any suggestions. His "part" isn't looking to healthy at this point and he is a very angry duck. Thanks

Sounds like Prolapse. Do a search for the word "prolapse" here, there are several threads on the topic. I personally have not dealt with that, so do not have advice to offer you. I do know the point of treating it is to eventually get that part of your drake back inside where it belongs. So he should be separated from any ducks so that he is not trying to mate.

His vet visit went well. He has 3 stitches around his vent to limit the opening but allow elimination. He was prescribed 0.3cc's of metacam to reduce inflammation (more if needed after 3 days, apparently the effects wear off after a few days). In 10 days (7 as of today) he will go back to have the stitches removed.

He's feeling better today. Confinement hasn't been his favorite thing. He's refused to eat until last night when he couldn't resist the peas any longer. He's also been shy about his bath until today when he soaked my bathroom immediately. When that was done he insisted on walking himself back to his box. So funny.

Only time will tell how this fix will hold up. He's not shy about doing his business with his 4 girls. I haven't decided how to go about reintroducing him (before the stitches are out or after). I'm afraid this will happen again. At least I know a bit more about helping him out and can avoid another vet visit in the future.

My vet is amazing. He doesn't want to charge me for these visits so he has me come in to "weigh" them and then does what he has to do and charges me for the supplies. Everyone loves seeing something new and it's educational for all of us.

His vet visit went well. He has 3 stitches around his vent to limit the opening but allow elimination. He was prescribed 0.3cc's of metacam to reduce inflammation (more if needed after 3 days, apparently the effects wear off after a few days). In 10 days (7 as of today) he will go back to have the stitches removed.

He's feeling better today. Confinement hasn't been his favorite thing. He's refused to eat until last night when he couldn't resist the peas any longer. He's also been shy about his bath until today when he soaked my bathroom immediately. When that was done he insisted on walking himself back to his box. So funny.

Only time will tell how this fix will hold up. He's not shy about doing his business with his 4 girls. I haven't decided how to go about reintroducing him (before the stitches are out or after). I'm afraid this will happen again. At least I know a bit more about helping him out and can avoid another vet visit in the future.

My vet is amazing. He doesn't want to charge me for these visits so he has me come in to "weigh" them and then does what he has to do and charges me for the supplies. Everyone loves seeing something new and it's educational for all of us.
What an awesome Vet. Great to hear he is on the mend but he really needs to be unable to mate for at least 2-3 months or you'll be right back where you were. can you make temp fencing to keep separate so they can be together but no touchy feely for a good while?

Back
Top Bottom