My drake is being mean to me

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DrakeDrakeGoose, Jun 25, 2016.

1. DrakeDrakeGoose

DrakeDrakeGoose New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm obviously new to caring for ducks. We only have two left after an attack. It's been an eventful spring! This week I learned a lot about how ducks mate... Which was unexpected since we thought we had 2 girls. It was also a bit scary when I thought Duck-Duck was trying to drown Goose in the pond! They've been mating all week and yesterday Drake-Drake (formally known as Duck-Duck) suddenly became very aggressive towards me. He tries to attack me anytime he gets a chance. I won't let them free in the yard anymore and I won't go in their area anymore.... Which isn't good because I'm the one who feeds them, cleans their house, lets them in and out of their house. Plus, I have to go through their area to get to my garden! He's being so mean. I had to use a snow shovel to protect myself this morning. What is going on? Will this pass once she lays her eggs? I'm afraid of birds of all types so this isn't going to work if this is his new personality. I was ok with the ducks before because they never really got too close, unless I sat on the ground and helped them forage for worms or laid in the yard to get some sun. They've always been curious, happy and silly and excited to see me (well, excited to eat whatever I'm bringing them). Can someone with experience please help? I need help before my kids are traumatized. I did read that holding them down in submission helps.... But I'm not doing that. I couldn't even hold them when they were chicks. Thanks.

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    When any of my birds (or my neighbor's ducks) act up, we take the problem birds at night (less aggression/resistance) and put them in a kennel in the garage for a few days, making sure to reach in and pet or touch the bird often during the day and evening. (Wear Gloves to avoid being bit). Eventually they figure out that you aren't hurting them and that you are the boss, not them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by