My drake, Peeta will only mate with one hen

LlamaGirl4

Crowing
Nov 2, 2018
NW Ohio
My Pekin drake, Peeta is a lucky boy. He’s the only drake of 24 hens. We are possibly going to try to let some of our hens hatch their own ducklings but so far Peeta has only been mounting one hen, katniss. (I think it’s funny that Peeta chose katniss! What a coincidence!) Katniss is fine with it but we wanted several hens to lay fertilized eggs but only katniss will. Peeta almost ignores the other ducks and will only pay attention to katniss. Earlier one of our other ducks, leia tried to get Peetas attention and she mounted him! Is this normal? How do I get Peeta to mate other ducks?

Many mallard derived drakes will form a strong pair bond with one hen. Strangely enough given the nature of drakes it is very rare that this one hen gets over mated. Most drakes will 'cheat' and breed other hens - especially if their 'mate' goes broody. When you separate them do so that they can not see one another or all their time will be spent attempting to get to one another.

Many mallard derived drakes will form a strong pair bond with one hen. Strangely enough given the nature of drakes it is very rare that this one hen gets over mated. Most drakes will 'cheat' and breed other hens - especially if their 'mate' goes broody. When you separate them do so that they can not see one another or all their time will be spent attempting to get to one another.
My Drakes love them all...:gig...:idunno..Always a top Hen that they all follow but my Drakes breed all the Hens they are given.

You have to separate Katniss from the male. What happens is, the drake will mate too much with her. She will start getting bald. And eventually, die. Here's what I would do: Separate Katniss, or the drake away from the flock for a little bit. (approximately 4 months) Also, 24 hens with 1 drake will lead to bad news.

I got this morning from some family 2 more drakes. Both pekins. They all get along. We separated them at first but now they are all together and all 3 drakes are living perfectly well together. Thanks everyone!

Fancy was like that with speedy - he would mate with the other two, but pined for speedy when she was nesting. Even went into visit her, just to nuzzle her then climbed up on the couch and cuddled with me to sleep.
20180429_060450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom