My duck blue swedish is laying eggs

lilrose79

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2021
Hi, just concern regarding my duck ginger. She's been laying eggs everyday for 8th days. This is my first time experiencing this process. When she will sit on her eggs?
My situation is a little complicated with my ducks. I don't have a place for them outside ready yet to sleep safely. I have the them in my garage in a corner. My routine every day is take them outside in my backyard so they can grass an
IMG_20210509_144223.jpg
hour then I put the in a run I make the under a big tree for now. Is good to be during the day but not secure to stay and sleep there. Then in the evening I take them inside. I see that every morning she is very excited to go outside, so I take outside. My concern is if she will sit with her eggs🤔
IMG_20210404_161653.jpg
🤔

Last edited:
She will not sit on her eggs unless she is broody. Swedish are prone to going broody, but since she just started laying she will likely not go broody this year. Many ducks, even broodier breeds, will not ever go broody because most domestic ducks were selected for egg production instead of broodiness.

Thanks. Today I checked and put another egg. I guess I need to wait. But meanwhile does the eggs will be damage waiting for her to sit?
Do you have a drake? Without one, you wont have fertile eggs.
Can I ask why you are expecting her to go broody? Many domestic ducks will never go broody. Just because she is laying eggs doesn't mean she is going to hatch them. Domestic ducks don't have a season where they will lay a clutch of eggs to hatch them. They will lay year round, only taking a break in winter to molt.
You will know if she is broody if she is flattened on her nest all day, hissing when you approach her. If she is acting normal, she is not broody and there is no point in leaving the eggs out. The eggs will just spoil sitting outside.

I love my Blue Swedish “Scuba Stevie”. Yup I thought she was a boy but hey the Scuba part stuck. They are big gals so make sure they have a place that is as duck leg friendly as possible! My 2Blue girls lay most everyday. Lovely big eggs! Eat them they are fantastic.
I think the best way to encourage ducks to go broody is a nest full of eggs. Golf balls work ok I’m told, cera ones are nice but expensive. They will lay what looks like a dozen eggs and sometimes that gal gets sassy! and grumpy! Yes then she’s broody for sure! Keep plenty of water and food close by for her and if you can isolate the others from her that’s ideal.

With 12 ducks I typically find 3 individual nests they share every morning from 7-8am. with 12 mature ducks it is quite common for me to have a full dozen everyday during the spring and summer months. often times a guinea egg or two as there are four guineas who share the coop, YES several were actually hatched by my broody Saxony. 😆 they followed her everywhere for months except swim time. If she goes broody again I’ll be sliding guinea eggs under her again

Attachments

• 3A96EE6F-FB1E-459C-974A-0C0FEDF4CF76.jpeg
    3A96EE6F-FB1E-459C-974A-0C0FEDF4CF76.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 11
Do you have a drake? Without one, you wont have fertile eggs.
Can I ask why you are expecting her to go broody? Many domestic ducks will never go broody. Just because she is laying eggs doesn't mean she is going to hatch them. Domestic ducks don't have a season where they will lay a clutch of eggs to hatch them. They will lay year round, only taking a break in winter to molt.
You will know if she is broody if she is flattened on her nest all day, hissing when you approach her. If she is acting normal, she is not broody and there is no point in leaving the eggs out. The eggs will just spoil sitting outside.
Yes, I have a male duck that is been in be with her all the time and mating almost every day. So should I take does eggs and put them apart and on a box with light to hatch myself? Or what to do then?

Yes, I have a male duck that is been in be with her all the time and mating almost every day. So should I take does eggs and put them apart and on a box with light to hatch myself? Or what to do then?
You’ve got options, the highest rate of return will probably be in an incubator. I would guess my Blue girls would be pretty decent moms but I’ve never had really good luck with all the ducklings surviving with their mother. They get squashed easily and are extremely fragile when young.
I don’t know how successful a light bulb would be either? Surely it would work but keeping even temperature, egg turning and proper humidity especially is critical. If they get too dry you can have all kinds of problems.

If you really want ducklings this year you will have to incubate them. She may go broody later this year or next spring when she is a bit older, but right now the best way to guarantee ducklings is to incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom