MY DUCK CAN'T STAND or WALK, HER LEGS SEEM TO CRUMPLE

The bottom of her feet do not look infected - they look good. Are there other duck keepers nearby who you might find help from? I would get her chicken feed and make sure she has the vitamin B complex. It could be that she has another issue going on with her legs. Sometimes it's hard to know - you don't want her to suffer. Also be aware that if you put her down or she passes, your solo duck will be super sad and lonely as they need other ducks for company, so maybe be thinking about getting her another friend (female) of a similar age?? I'm sorry - your duck is beautiful.
thanks again for the help <3 unfortunately no one really raises ducks here and the ones that do usually raise them as cattle we only got them cuz they where young and being solid in a small box and we wanted to help
and trust me i know they are like best friends xD they always sleep in each others arms and play togther the other one only eats when this one eats and only plays when this ones does they are like twins i really hope i can help her get better
ill look around for other duck keepers maybe ill get lucky ^^ thanks again for all the help ❤️

Were you able to find B complex and get your duck started on it? @BunnyAndNugget
yes i found it and i am giving it to her on a daily basis with antibiotics from a new vet there is still no noticeable improvement on her foot but she seems healthy i just hope she won't loss the ability to walk permanently
thank you for asking about her ^^ <3
on a side note my account is named after my ducks the one in the picture is nugget : D

Can you let her float in some nice warm water so she can exercise her legs? it takes the pressure off the injured leg but helps keep the muscles from getting weak. Most of us have to use the bathtub for water therapy.
It takes time for the B complex to start working so be patient.

Can you let her float in some nice warm water so she can exercise her legs? it takes the pressure off the injured leg but helps keep the muscles from getting weak. Most of us have to use the bathtub for water therapy.
It takes time for the B complex to start working so be patient.
you are right it does take time so i hope she gets better and i do let her float in water every day for around 30m she seems to love it and plays around tho its not really warm it was room temp in my location that's like 30c but next time ill try a bit warmer water something around 45c maybe that will help : D thanks again for all the help and advice ^^

yes i found it and i am giving it to her on a daily basis with antibiotics from a new vet there is still no noticeable improvement on her foot but she seems healthy i just hope she won't loss the ability to walk permanently
thank you for asking about her ^^ <3
on a side note my account is named after my ducks the one in the picture is nugget : D
I have a duck named nugget too :)

Some ducks are more sensitive to a lack of nutrients, so that may be contributing.

She may have a systemic infection, also, or a large parasite load.

You may be able to purchase a poultry vitamins and electrolyte mix, since even those who raise poultry and waterfowl for meat may create a demand for something like that at a feed store.

If you cannot get poultry vitamins, there is a product called poly-vi-sol which may be sold where you are. It is a multivitamin. You would need to calculate the proper concentration of vitamins (since ducks are so tiny), or you may be able to search the archives here for dosages.

If she has an infection, antibiotics may be needed. I have used Tylan (tylosin phosphate), which is dissolved in their drinking water. Eggs are not to be eaten during treatment or for ten days after, to be on the safe side.

For parasites, some use a natural method, combining diatomaceous earth (food grade) and garlic, but be careful as garlic - according to some sources - can be toxic to ducks. I feel that it may be dependent upon how much is ingested, but that is just my feeling, you need to sort this out. There are also de-wormers such as Ivermectin (stromectol), and again you may need to calculate a dosage that would be appropriate for a little duck.

Keep her warm, well-fed (better than well-fed, she needs high quality food right now), with loads of fresh water as you sort out the problem.

If she has peritonitis, it could be fatal, but please don't give up on her when there are so many options to try to help her.
Hi! Can you please expand on how to make the diatomaceous earth food grade and garlic mixture? I am struggling to find any methods of how to administer this! Please help! Thank you so much!

Hi! Can you please expand on how to make the diatomaceous earth food grade and garlic mixture? I am struggling to find any methods of how to administer this! Please help! Thank you so much!
Hi there, this is an old thread so you are unlikely to receive a response.
You're struggling to find the info because it doesn't exist.
DE is not in any way a wormer and garlic is deadly toxic to birds in the amounts required to remotely affect worms.

Back
Top Bottom