MY DUCK CAN'T STAND or WALK, HER LEGS SEEM TO CRUMPLE

@Miss Lydia or anyone who can help.
I have a huge problem within my flock. I had two of my 6mo old ducks that started limping and then would fall or just lay there. They both ending up dying very shortly after. Another one started limping last night and it was dead this morning. I have one of my 1 1/2 yr old ducks with the same problem. While all of my older ducks, some of them 3 yrs or more seem to be fine.
I have changed their food now to something with more nutrients. I have given electrolytes in the drinking water. I have also given them a dose of duramycin 10 last night. Clean dry bedding and all.
The weather here has been very wet. I was concerned that maybe they have dug in some stagnant areas and also they can't seem to get super dry. I am moving their pen today to a dryer place in the yard to see if that helps. They have a house with dry hay but most of them prefer to sleep outside.
I brought my 1 1/2 yr old inside for a warm Epsom salt bath. He isn't swimming or preening at all. Im going to dry him completely before I put him back in his house to stay warm. He's been seperated from the others. His eyes also looked like they were draining yesterday but seemed a little better this morning. He still doesn't walk or flap his wings or anything. The most I've seen him do is turn his body so he can see me if I move out of sight.
If you have any other suggestions for me please let me know. I don't want to loose another duck. I had a flock of 21 now I have 18 and two of them are sick
1f622.png

I did buy some vetericyn for his eyes if needed.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia or anyone who can help.
I have a huge problem within my flock. I had two of my 6mo old ducks that started limping and then would fall or just lay there. They both ending up dying very shortly after. Another one started limping last night and it was dead this morning. I have one of my 1 1/2 yr old ducks with the same problem. While all of my older ducks, some of them 3 yrs or more seem to be fine.
I have changed their food now to something with more nutrients. I have given electrolytes in the drinking water. I have also given them a dose of duramycin 10 last night. Clean dry bedding and all.
The weather here has been very wet. I was concerned that maybe they have dug in some stagnant areas and also they can't seem to get super dry. I am moving their pen today to a dryer place in the yard to see if that helps. They have a house with dry hay but most of them prefer to sleep outside.
I brought my 1 1/2 yr old inside for a warm Epsom salt bath. He isn't swimming or preening at all. Im going to dry him completely before I put him back in his house to stay warm. He's been seperated from the others. His eyes also looked like they were draining yesterday but seemed a little better this morning. He still doesn't walk or flap his wings or anything. The most I've seen him do is turn his body so he can see me if I move out of sight.
If you have any other suggestions for me please let me know. I don't want to loose another duck. I had a flock of 21 now I have 18 and two of them are sick
1f622.png

I did buy some vetericyn for his eyes if needed.
So sorry for your losses @corrinekay If you possibly think a toxin whether some kind of bacteria in the standing water or something else flushes might help you said you were doing an Epsom salt soak, why? but if you decide to use it in their drinking water please go by the directions because it can cause dehydration and diarreha . and use the Veterycin in his eyes it won't hurt him at all. Keep the ones that are showing symptoms where they are dry and warm and use the flush as soon as you can.When doing a flush use nothing else in their water and this has to be their sole water while doing a flush.

Last edited:
I used it in his bath because he seems like he can't go to the bathroom. It was very dry and he hadnt gone very much. If anything I thought it might help flush him a little. I'm not giving it as drinking water, I didn't want to dehydrate him. I'm going to give him some more electrolytes and see if he'll eat. Do you think the duramycin will hurt at all? Also is there a specific flush to give him. I didn't see any at the pet supply store.

I am leaning toward giving the Duramycin. It could be viral, fungal, or bacterial. A good duck vet would be best but we cannot always do that.

Other thoughts: get a fecal sample to a vet - have them test it for infection
get them on vitamins and probiotics
look around for dead things, or things that could leak metals (old batteries, junk piles)
keep them close - don't let them range around where you cannot see what they are getting into

Last edited:
Is there West Nile virus in your area? Just a wild guess - as far as what to do, you are already on the right road. Kathy's question is a good one. They need to stay hydrated.

Consider a necropsy for the ones that have already died. Some states do them for free because they are trying to stay ahead of avian influenza. But the consequences are dire for those who test positive, even without symptoms.

And I need to take the time to say, I am so sad for your losses.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Worms, coccidia and bacterial infections could cause all these symptoms. Just recently went through this with a peahen.

-Kathy

He is still drinking and eating on his own. I have to put them close because he's not walking only scooting around a bit. I haven't seen anything dead or leaking around that they could get into. They just free range in the yard. I was leaning toward fungal because its been so wet here. We don't have any vets here that see ducks. I did find a tick on him after his bath. I pulled it off and cleaned the area and put the vetericyn on it. Although I've never seen a tick on a duck before. But that doesn't explain problems with the others. I have never seen this in the 4yrs that I've had ducks. He has perked a little since the bath, but is still laying there. He doesn't even lift his butt to poop anymore. Just letting it get on himself. I'm gonna keep on the antibiotics and electrolytes and I'll get some probiotics. And as far as I know there hasn't been any west nile, but I'll research it.

Back
Top Bottom