MY DUCK CAN'T STAND or WALK, HER LEGS SEEM TO CRUMPLE

Thank you for the welcome and your advice which was so very welcome.

I was able to find poulty vitamins and the fantastic news this morning is that she is back on her feet - I think it must have been the parasites. She is a little weak but is still eating and drinking well. I will keep her separate from the others today so I can monitor her and will bring her in again tonight.

Once again, thank you.
I have a pekin duck with same symptons. What was your regiment? Vitamins type? Any antibiotics? Have one duck that had bumble foot about 5 weeks ago. Been touch and go a few times but she is getting a little better everyday fingers crossed. Second one could not stand today going to see if egg bound but appears to be identical symptons as other one except no bumblefoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This site is great. Thanks

Can you get a video loaded here? So we can see how they are walking and pictures of feet and injuries?
The video will have to go on YouTube or another platform then copy and paste it here.
Dose for BComplex is 1 ml each over a tasty treat. Just enough treat they get full dose down, do this every day until they are walking good then for a week after.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can help me here. One od my male swedish ducks decided to mate with my indian runner apparently over night. Well upon doing so he hurt her pretty bad. We came outside the next morning to find her eyes scabbed over. I moved my hand over her eyes which she did respond by moving her head. I put her in the bathtub which she drank , seam, played. Today her eyes are hard scabbed she was not to playful in the bathtub this morning. So I cleaned her kennel and let her back in it. She will not eat, cat food is her favorite and she will not eat it. I am puting antibiotic in her water but she is not drinking the water in her kennel (she cant see it) so my question is I am going to have to get her to eat. Has anyone tried syring feeding? Would you recommend it? Plus what would you put in the syringe? I do have a shallow tote I thought about putting food in it setting her in there and seeing if maybe like the bathtub if she is in it and can feel it maybe she will eat it. Any answers would be helpful please?
let her float in the tub with dried worms floating in it, shell get better, then she will eat and drink. but still won't walk...

hi everyone i would appreciate any help i can get with my ducks i have 2 pet around 4 years old i got them since they where babies one of them is a bit bigger in size than the other they are both females the bigger one always had problems with one of her feet after she was around 2 years old
she used to limp for about a week and then get better on her own
but this time she was limping and then a week after she could not walk at all
one of her feet is always backwards and her pawn is facing upwards and it seems like she cant move it at all
the other leg seems a bit weak but she can stand on it sometimes when she is scared
its been a week since she lost her ability to move and 2 week or even a bit more since she started limping
the place i live in has shit doctors and even worse vets but i took her still hoping that they might know what to do they said its something i her stomach that is causing her leg to be paralyzed without doing any checks or anything but just looking at her and gave me some capsule's to feed the duck
that was 5 days ago and still there is no improvement
im scared that she will die if i dont do something soon
she only eats when i feed her by hand and sometimes when placed in front of her directly and only moves when i move her from place to place i try to keep her active as much as i can and i read on this from that its good for her to take a swim so i keep her company and let her swim for about 30m a day so she can move around in water and she seems to like it and move around to clean in the water
both ducks live in our garden that is about 40% dirt and 60% concrete the vet did say that concrete can cause this but and im sure it does in some cases but i dont think its this one since they where living there since they where babies and they stick to dirt side when they can and the other one never had problems
they eat lettuce cucumbers rise potato's green peppers anytime we have left over meat and chicken feed is thier favorite
i looked everywhere for duck feed in my city and could not find any
nor there is anything specific for pets so if you have any recommendations that is not pet specific that would be great since i can access any type of medication or drugs thats for humans but nothing that is pet specific so maybe there is something that would work on both ?
thank you in advance for you time ❤️ and im not sure if this is the right place to post this or should i make a new thread about this

Do you have access to online shipping? You can purchase duck specific food from Amazon and Chewy.com. Without proper food she could have a number of deficiencies. They really can't live well on scraps and veggies and proper amounts of niacin are essential for leg strength. You could definitely try some liquid vitamin B complex - it says injectable, but you just give them 1 ml a day over food or treats. This has the niacin they need and you can get this at a food store, Tractor Supply, or online. Does she have bumblefoot, which is an infection on the bottom of the foot resulting in black scabs? Check the bottom of her feet - walking on hard surfaces can sometimes impact that. That will cause her to limp and also the infection can spread to the bone. What breed of duck are they? Pekins are a heavy-weight breed that often have leg problems, especially if not supplemented with extra niacin.

Do you have access to online shipping? You can purchase duck specific food from Amazon and Chewy.com. Without proper food she could have a number of deficiencies. They really can't live well on scraps and veggies and proper amounts of niacin are essential for leg strength. You could definitely try some liquid vitamin B complex - it says injectable, but you just give them 1 ml a day over food or treats. This has the niacin they need and you can get this at a food store, Tractor Supply, or online. Does she have bumblefoot, which is an infection on the bottom of the foot resulting in black scabs? Check the bottom of her feet - walking on hard surfaces can sometimes impact that. That will cause her to limp and also the infection can spread to the bone. What breed of duck are they? Pekins are a heavy-weight breed that often have leg problems, especially if not supplemented with extra niacin.
thank you for the fast reply unfortunately i live in iraq and most shops dont ship here there is a work around but it takes 4-8 weeks for us to get anything delivered
i dont know to much about duck breeds but i can take a picture of her and her feet maybe you can recognise it
but i do have access to vitamin B complex in from of pills but im sure i can find the liquid form as well in any pharmacy here
and thanks again <3

Attachments

• 20230503_210429.jpg
    20230503_210429.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230503_210356.jpg
    20230503_210356.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230503_210224.jpg
    20230503_210224.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 4
The bottom of her feet do not look infected - they look good. Are there other duck keepers nearby who you might find help from? I would get her chicken feed and make sure she has the vitamin B complex. It could be that she has another issue going on with her legs. Sometimes it's hard to know - you don't want her to suffer. Also be aware that if you put her down or she passes, your solo duck will be super sad and lonely as they need other ducks for company, so maybe be thinking about getting her another friend (female) of a similar age?? I'm sorry - your duck is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom