My duck died

LeilaRene

Hatching
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone! I got two ducklings with my latest batch of chicks this year (I wanna say about March 15th). This is my first time having ducks and I did research how to care for them, but I found one of them dead in their water tub today. They've been moved outside for more than a week now (it's pretty warm where I live so they didn't get cold), and have been able to get in and out of the tub themselves multiple times in front of me and on their own. I checked on them yesterday afternoon and all seemed fine, there was no blood/mucus/vomit in the coop that I could see. She was spread and laying with her head regularly positioned, fish posed if that helps anyone understand what I mean. I changed all the water and food in the pen and put in a smaller tub for the one that's still doing well, but I know she can't be alone for very long and I don't want to get more ducklings just for the to die.

Had the water level gotten lower in the tub? She may not have been able to get out of it as the water got splashed out, drank, etc. and the water level went down.
I don't think it did, but maybe? The other duck was also in the tub when I found her and she's still doing good but maybe she got in the tub after.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

We might be able to guess why your duck passed away, but it would only be a guess. The way to know would be to have a necropsy performed. At this point there has likely been too much decomposition, but if you loose another duck and want to know why I recommend putting the deceased body in a plastic bag and putting it in your fridge. Your local avian vet can do the procedure, or you can send it to your state lab for likely less money. We can send you links on how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom