My duck egg, and a couple questions

chickmomma03

Songster
Aug 8, 2015
North Carolina
Well, it's now day 15 of duck egg incubation, my first time incubating an egg. I started off with 3 fertile eggs. One never progressed much (we kept it for the first 7 days), the 2nd progressed only for about 1 1/2 weeks before it unfortunately stopped (not really sure what happened, I could see the heartbeat and veins, then all of a sudden there was a blood ring, I didn't crack open to find out). I have one that is progressing AMAZINGLY though. We are not out of the woods yet. I am thrilled though to watch the little duckie dance and grow (I only check briefly to make sure duckie is still doing well).

Anyways, I candled tonight, and took a quick little clip of the duck moving around, it's really neat! I have a couple questions. I bought a digital thermometer with hygrometer. My temperature has been pretty steady on 99/100. My humidity has been between 45-47 percent (mostly staying at 45). As time nears for hatching I'm suppose to up humidity to 65% right?

Right now I have a single small bowl in there with a washcloth (I have been changing out to prevent bacteria growth) because I keep forgetting to buy sponges so I'm making due (I don't have or keep paper towels). How do I reach ideal humidity for hatching? Do I add another water dish or 2 with wash cloths/sponges?

If it's a successful hatch, how long do I leave that in there before switching to a water dish little duckie can drink out of?

And, can duckie eat chick start (non-medicated)? That might sound silly, but I really have no clue. I got the egg from my neighbor's ducks (one male, one female, and I had permission to collect the eggs). My son and I are hatching the egg as his first science experiment of the school year (7th grade, I homeschool).

Also, on lockdown, is there suppose to be literally no air exposure at all to the incubating egg or is that just for fear of humidity loss? I made a homemade brooder using a steralite bin, window screen (with towels covering the screen to prevent heat/humidity loss), a towel to set the egg in, and then my heat lamp. It's done really well, but I worry about lockdown and whether I need to modify as the time nears. I don't have funds to buy a real incubator and I didn't find anyone who could borrow me one, so I'm making due with what I have.

I uploaded the candling pictures from today, and the video, hopefully the video works.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom