MY DUCK IS ACTING WEIRD AFTER BEING ATTACKED BY AN OWL

Gibs0nth3duck

Hatching
Jun 19, 2021
It was around midnight when an owl that had been flying around our neighborhood for a while had come and attacked my 2 month old duck, I brought him inside, he has some scratch marks under his wing, I disinfected it and put some neosporen on it (it wasn't bleeding) I put him in an enclosure and left some food and water next to him. I was surprised he ate after the attack because I thought he would be in shock and not touch the food, but something I had noticed was that he would drink water as enthusiastically as he normally would and just put in the tip of his beak and the water and drink softly. He had a puncture wound that would excrete oxygen everytime he quacked or peeped but this is the next day and I can't seem to see the wound or hear or feel any oxygen that was leaking out, im not sure what happened. As of today I gave him a warm bath, but he wouldn't do the usual things he did and would just float there, dipping his head is occasionally, but he didn't dunk his head in as energenically as he usually would. Also as of today he will only eat if I hand feed it to him, he is just acting strange. He seems very uneasy and won't sit down and rest as frequently as he used to, when I put him in this enclosures he just stood there for like 10 minutes and wouldn't sit down. His voice also seems to sound really quiet and sounds like as if he is quacking into a pillow. PLS HELP

Pictures of the wound would be helpful or a video of how he is acting. As for him acting off in general after the attack it is a little bit hard without seeing him in person or pictures, but please give him time to adjust. Think of it as if a person has just been attacked and stabbed...they are not going to be 100% okay or even remotely normal for awhile and will need time both physically and mentally to recover. Where is the puncture wound located? Is a vet at all possible?

Air coming from a wound site would suggest there was a puncture in the respiratory system, more likely the air sacs which are quite prevalent across the bird, and due to their thin nature can be punctured easily.
Along with shock, a punctured air sac would likely cause a change in the bird's voice. If you cannot feel air as you did before exiting the puncture site, and aren't seeing any swelling, I would probably just keep applying ointment, or even sterile honey. I would avoid direct lavaging due to the possibility you may get water into the air sac.
Considering a talon did reach into the tissue, we should address the chance of bacteria propagating in the air sacs leading to an infection.
If you live in the U.S you can obtain antibiotics for fish, and birds without an RX that could be used to treat an infection.
An antibiotic such as Enrofloxacin would work:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10#:~:text=What is Baytril used for,Infections and many many more.
I would continue feeding the duck as need to be, switching the food up often, and trying stuff like scrambled eggs to help get some nutrients inside her. An electrolyte such as Sav-A-Chick, or dilute Gatorade can be offered as well to prevent the onset of dehydration.
Sick birds should be weighted daily on a gram scale to determine if there is a prominent decrease in body weight that would require more serious measures such as tube feeding.
If you can get in contact with a vet experienced with birds that would be a preferred route.

Back
Top Bottom