My Duck is being agressive! Help!!

Terry-G

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
I hand raised my welsh Harlequin with a female, but sadly at one week she died, leaving my male alone. He was raised with dogs and by me, he would sit on my lap and follow me around in the yard and he would play in the bathtub only if i was with him. but he started getting very mean, attacking the dogs and my mom, then he started attacking me too. He has a toy that he would, as i say, rape and for a little he got better. now its getting worse then ever, no matter what i do he won't leave me alone and he only ever attacks me or the dogs now.

Would getting only one female help calm him down or should i just find him a home with plenty of females?

I don't know that much about ducks, but I think that it is risky to get a female, because if he is aggressive with her, he can kill her.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. Good luck!

Cat

Thanks, I kind of figured its mating behavior. I'm working on finding him plenty of females, for the being i try to always wear closed toe shoes since he has a toe fetish (which is helping a lot).

He must think he's a goose because he chases me down and bites my hands, ankles and toes. I think a goose would be nicer at this point.

Hello,

I was wondering how your duck is doing now, because I've got the exact same problem with my male Indian Runner duck.
It's really getting out of hand because the attacks are getting more violent every day, and I am completely covered in bruises.
I can't get him a female duck though. Is there anything else I can do?

Sam

I'm having the same problem with my house duck. 
Doodles is 4 months old drake, hand raised, never been around other ducks.
A month ago he began chasing my husband and grabbing his pants leg. At first we thought it was cute, thinking he was just playing. But after a couple weeks of him getting more and more aggressive we began trying to discourage the behavior with no success.
My arms and feet are covered in bruises. Because of the biting, he spends more time in his kennel and has to be restrained for me to feed/water him. I now wear long sleeves & gloves when handling him and we have to have shoes on when he's out.

I miss my sweet snuggle-duck. :(

What do I do to calm him down? Getting another duck isn't an option at the moment.
I see the response above that holding him down to show dominance may help. We'll try that starting today. 
Is there a vocalization ducks use to show displeasure in behavior? 
Can a duck be neutered? :/

Hello,

I was wondering how your duck is doing now, because I've got the exact same problem with my male Indian Runner duck.
It's really getting out of hand because the attacks are getting more violent every day, and I am completely covered in bruises.
I can't get him a female duck though. Is there anything else I can do?

Sam

I'm having the same problem with my house duck.
Doodles is 4 months old drake, hand raised, never been around other ducks.
A month ago he began chasing my husband and grabbing his pants leg. At first we thought it was cute, thinking he was just playing. But after a couple weeks of him getting more and more aggressive we began trying to discourage the behavior with no success.
My arms and feet are covered in bruises. Because of the biting, he spends more time in his kennel and has to be restrained for me to feed/water him. I now wear long sleeves & gloves when handling him and we have to have shoes on when he's out.

I miss my sweet snuggle-duck.
sad.png

What do I do to calm him down? Getting another duck isn't an option at the moment.
I see the response above that holding him down to show dominance may help. We'll try that starting today.
Is there a vocalization ducks use to show displeasure in behavior?
Can a duck be neutered?
hmm.png
Have you read this? it's for training geese [which is usually ganders] and I used some of these on my imprinted drake, you ought to try and see if these help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Back
Top Bottom