My duck is having seizures.

What is the niacin content? I would really like to see a picture of her.
This is her, both pictures. There coop is small, we are in the process of building a bigger coop for them. They are free range from Dawn to dusk. The niacin I am not sure, if any.

Attachments

• 44DED519-47CE-4953-827E-BE92B5367482.jpeg
    44DED519-47CE-4953-827E-BE92B5367482.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 636225E1-57A3-4B29-A7BC-0B5AE7B4EC02.jpeg
    636225E1-57A3-4B29-A7BC-0B5AE7B4EC02.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 15
  • CF8FEB05-3247-4BB8-A1B4-B42D6BF07884.jpeg
    CF8FEB05-3247-4BB8-A1B4-B42D6BF07884.jpeg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2552D832-FF98-41EE-BCE7-523039B88FAF.png
    2552D832-FF98-41EE-BCE7-523039B88FAF.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 17
https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Duck-...00NB6QWC978&psc=1&refRID=7WJYB8Z7200NB6QWC978
I recommend this brand for ducklings. I started with it for the first three weeks and all my 6 week old ducklings are doing really well. Since your duckling is having trouble I think you should feed it now. That definitely looks like niacin deficiency.
Were you able to read the article and link I gave you?
Thank you for the pictures,
Kelly

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Duck-...00NB6QWC978&psc=1&refRID=7WJYB8Z7200NB6QWC978
I recommend this brand for ducklings. I started with it for the first three weeks and all my 6 week old ducklings are doing really well. Since your duckling is having trouble I think you should feed it now. That definitely looks like niacin deficiency.
Kelly
Yes I read the article and link you sent me. I appreciate all your help. Looking at the food I didn’t realize it didn’t have niacin in it much or at all. Thank you for all your help!

I'm happy to help! The cattle Vitamin B complex will be very helpful too. One ml on dried mealworms once a day in a dish until you see the seizures lessen and go away and it may help her legs some. I'm not sure if her legs will ever be quite the same but we will hopefully get the seizures under control.
After things get better this is what I am feeding, from my 13 week olds to my 6 week olds and plan to use it for their whole lives with supplemental oyster shells for the egg-laying females.

Attachments

• IMG_9437.JPG
    IMG_9437.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9438.JPG
    IMG_9438.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9439.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 7
Yes I read the article and link you sent me. I appreciate all your help. Looking at the food I didn’t realize it didn’t have niacin in it much or at all. Thank you for all your help!
Hi, first of all
It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.

Simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

So, depending on where you are I'd like to recommend some food and niacin supplement for you..

Right now I'll pretend you are in the USA and tell you that Tractor Supply has Purina Duck Pellets that are good for all ducks. Once they start laying all you have to do is provide oyster shells on the side for the girls.

Even more important is the B-complex especially for pekins. They are bred for meat as you probably know. Their bodies grow faster than their legs can keep up with so they need tons of niacin to help with leg issues and trust me, Pekins all seem to have this problem! These are the 2 items you need to get and you can probably get them from Tractor Supply.

1 ml B-complex over a treat that your duck will eat right up every day and after a couple of few weeks you should start seeing improvement.
fullsizeoutput_34d2.jpeg
IMG_0251.JPG

Kelly
Great minds.....and all that! My ducks love this stuff. I don't know anyone who isn't happy with it. @Runner duck mom uses it as well as @quackiemama. It's awesome for those of us who just have ducks! If you buy it on amazon it's incredibly expensive. You pay $48 for a 40# bag on amazon. That same 40# bag at Tractor Supply costs $16.99!

Yeah when the 6 girls were like a week old they had a little bit of bowed legs going on and now their legs look perfect! I would've kept going with the Purina Duck Pellets if I wasn't worried about protein content and them growing too quickly and angel wing. :idunno It's a really good feed though.

Last edited:
Yeah when the 6 girls were like a week old they had a little bit of bowed legs going on and now their legs look perfect! I would've kept going with the Purina Duck Pellets if I wasn't worried about protein content and them growing too quickly and angel wing. :idunno It's a really good feed though.
Yes, but with Pekins you should be more worried about the niacin than the angel wing. B-complex is what I'd give Pekins from hatch through life if I had them.

Yes, but with Pekins you should be more worried about the niacin than the angel wing. B-complex is what I'd give Pekins from hatch through life if I had them.
Yes that is why I recommended the Duck Pellets to Foxfarms455. But once the duckling is healed I’d switch to the Country Lane 16% protein all flock because I’ve been successful with it and all my ducklings look fantastic.

Your duck is obviously niacin deficient, you can tell by the pigeon-toed legs, so you better start treating her with a Cattle B complex brand immediately, and since she is on the older side, it may take a few weeks or more until there is a noticeable change in her walking.

Something I do want to clarify is that a deficiency in niacin will not cause Seizures, a thiamine deficiency can but not niacin. Could you post a video of her when she is having a seizure?

Back
Top Bottom