My duck is injured and a pain in the butt :P

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
My June hatch silver welsh harlequin, Prairie Dawn, has somehow injured her wing. Maybe one of the boys got a little rough with her. Not sure. Anyway, her wing is drooping and I can see her shoulder twitching like she is having muscle spasms. We tried wrapping her in vet wrap to keep her wing in proper position and it took her less than 10 minutes to figure out how to get out of it. This is the daughter of my spooky smart duck Shelley. Like her mother she is too smart for her own good.

So with the vet wrap fail, should I wait a couple of days and see if it improves or take a more aggressive path and make something that will fit her more like a body stocking with feet holes and a neck strap so the little turd can't wiggle out of it?

We did check the wing when we picked her up and it doesn't feel hot at any part nor does it appear to be broken in any way. It appears from all outward signs to be a muscle issue. She is still eating and drinking so that is a good sign.

Advice? Suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm no Duck MD...but I'm opinionated
tongue.png
I would rewrap it and rig something up that's "wiggle" proof. Or...seperate her and put her somewhere free of obstacles that might add to her injury. But I like the wrap idea better.

When one of our ducks got an injured wing we tried to wrap that thing and tried and she always got out of it. Finaly we used a cloth wrap (like what is used for a spranged wrist) and wraped that around her hurt wing then under her good wing. Then we wrapped tape over that. That way she could still use the good wing and flap that one but couldn't move the bad one. I think it helped also because she didn't have that good wing to help push off the wrap. That is the best addvice I could give.

Yeah. We wrapped it held against her body in the normal position. Kind of like the way you wrap for angel wing even though that isn't her problem.

Another non-MD, but if there's a place she can be for a day away from the boys, some rest may just be the best thing. Go with your gut on this, Wifezilla - I trust your instincts. If you just need to let it be for 12 hours or 24, that may be what you both need, with her in a quiet place and you with a nice hot drink.

When I first got my calls and were about 3 months old they were racing around in the pond and one of them hurt her wing.. it drooped almost to the
ground and she couldnt stretch it way out , I kept a close eye on her and a week later I could tell it was getting better and another week later she
seemed and acted back to normal.. when they started flying tho she couldnt. THe other 3 had to have their wings clipped but not her..
but she is perfectly fine .. just needed to let it heal. I think the stress of having it wrapped (for mine anyway) may have made it worse before better..
it was just to sore to hold up til it healed..

Last edited:
There's a fine art to making it tight enough but not too tight that it'll cut off circulation. It takes practice. Looks like this is as good a time as any!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom