My duck is laying eggs and is not her self...?!

DuckyAnji

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Magnolia, TX
I have 2 female Indian Runners that are 6 months old. Bonnie was sick but that night, she laid an egg. Since then, Bonnie had not been the same girl we know. She is typically hyper and spunky as she would quack a lot. She is looking skinnier and does not quack like before. Is this normal? She's laid an egg each night in her bed and I throw them away. I'm worried she will never be the same funny girl we love....Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The egg laying system sometimes causes some discomfort, I think, when it starts up.

But if the duck is otherwise healthy, it's no big deal after a few to several days.

Some concerns - if she is not absorbing enough calcium, that could cause serious trouble. Or, if somehow some egg material gets loose inside her, that can cause infections - again, serious trouble.

I have had ducks have a little trouble with laying either beginning or stopping. But with good nutrition, extra calcium, a little TLC (lukewarm tub baths, no soap), they generally come around.

If not, I would seek a vet's help.

There are a few things that can go on with the oviducts, that can cause problems aside from what I mentioned - a vet might be able to figure out some of that.

Majestic Waterfowl has a symptom chart that I look at from time to time http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/diagnostic chart.htm

You said she seems light - that worries me.

Last edited:
I second the calcium bit. Laying hens need different nutrition than their non-laying counterparts. Have you given her layer pellets or oyster shell?

I've been giving her oyster pellets. I will go by the feed store and see about liquid calcium as well. She does not seem interested in the pellets. During the day, she seems fine but at night she seems a bit depressed and pants a bit at bedtime.

That sounds like calcium troubles. I use the liquid calcium gluconate. I have been doing some research into dry calcium supplements that would provide the equivalent amount of calcium, by the way.

Dandelion greens are said to have quite a bit of calcium, but I would still supplement.

I will definitely look into the calcium treatment. I'm looking into a waterfowl vet nearby. Not very easy!! I took them to a vet when they were babies and I don't feel they knew much about ducks. This is very discouraging. :(

Back
Top Bottom