MY DUCK IS MEAN - HELP

I have more drakes than girls. The drakes are in a separate pen, so I don't have to worry about numbers. While both groups hang around each other, the drakes seem to enjoy their life. They strut for the girls and call to them. But... since the girls are unreachable, they don't fight with each other. They also don't attack me, 'cause when I go into their pen, there is not a duck to protect. They mostly just hang out. In spring, they seem mildly frustrated, but they seem to accept that the girls are out of range and don't make a big deal out of it.

Personally, I really enjoy being able to add or give away ducks and drakes without worrying about the ratios. Being a vegetarian, I also enjoy knowing the eggs are infertile.

Occasionally, one drake gets lucky when I want to hatch babies. He gets a separate pen with the chosen duck. Later, that third pen is used to raise the babies.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem (1 drake and 1 female though) MY drake was a sweetheart until he started mating with the female. He turned into a total dick and attacked everyone. The female decided to peace out (flew away or got eaten) and it actually was the best thing that ever happened, because my lover boy is back! I actually just got another drake for him the other day. No more females for me. Causes too much aggression.

Again, it is up to you how your drake(s) interact with you. Donald, one of my drakes needs frequent reminders that i am the top drake here. When the weather was warm and he tried to bite me i used the garden-hose with the nozzle set to mist, lately i just pinned him to the ground and held him down for ~30 seconds - as stronger drakes would do.
He is back to being obedient for now. His intentions are good, he is protecting his flock, he just needs to understand that i'm not a threat (and the boss!)

Back
Top Bottom