MY DUCK IS MEAN - HELP

How old is he? If he's under 2 years old, he's most likely growing. Have you noticed any hissing? It sounds like a snake: "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...." Do they live outside? And if they don't, do you let them outside? If you do, try checking around your backyard to see if there is anything scary. Ducks (especially males) who hiss is usually a sign of when they're scared.

Yes, he’s under 2 years. He’s 1 year and 3 months. No hissing.

My female is completely separated from them. They are indoor/outdoor. I don’t let my female around them, there’s no way she would survive if they attacked her or tried mating with her. When they’re outdoors, they have free range of everywhere basically. A large area. Indoors they have 2 large rooms with toys, a tv, I provide treats and other things.

My female is completely separated from them. They are indoor/outdoor. I don’t let my female around them, there’s no way she would survive if they attacked her or tried mating with her. When they’re outdoors, they have free range of everywhere basically. A large area. Indoors they have 2 large rooms with toys, a tv, I provide treats and other things.
Can we see your duck rooms?

I had a female that bit me on the nose and fought with me.

For about a month, each time she would go after me I would hold her head down (lower than her body) by holding her bill (gently, not covering her breathing holes) for two minutes or so. Then I would let go and she would nip me and I would do it again. And again. And again. One time I was up for an hour at night till she quit nipping long enough for me to reward her by putting her back in the bin.

Eventually I must have won the dominance battle. Now when she sees me coming she is friendly, although she squats like I am a male duck. However, she never nips any more and is easy to catch, so I count it a win. She even eats out of my hand gently now.

I see all these posts and threads about people who handle their ducks. My ducks come running at me whenever I go outside and they’re free. However, they don’t let me pick them up without a huge todo. They’ve never tried to bite me when I do capture them. Is this future behavior I can expect from them? Plus...how can ducks bite? Mine don’t have teeth, and I can’t imagine their pinch is all that hard.

I see all these posts and threads about people who handle their ducks. My ducks come running at me whenever I go outside and they’re free. However, they don’t let me pick them up without a huge todo. They’ve never tried to bite me when I do capture them. Is this future behavior I can expect from them? Plus...how can ducks bite? Mine don’t have teeth, and I can’t imagine their pinch is all that hard.
Their pinch can be pretty hard if they want it to be.
My girl use to bite/pinch me when I picked her up. It hurt, but I know she wasn't putting her full force into she was just trying to tell me she wanted down. I can imagine if she wanted to she could make me bleed.
My ducks will eat out of my hand and follow me around, but they don't like me touching them and I only do when I'm giving them their "physical".

Ducks actually do have teeth, you prolly just don’t notice them bc they’re very small at the sides of their mouth. Their bean on the other hand can make quite an impact

Back
Top Bottom