My duck is missing since sunday night, any chance of survival?

Shivakumar

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
I saw the duck on sunday night 8pm and the next morning I found it missing. No traces of feathers or blood. She statyed with our 3 month chickens inside our compound. The chickens were staying in the same place and not scared. There are no predators except eagles, crows and cats. The cats only attack the small ones and never bothered with the adults. The duck is 1 and half years old.

I checked our neghbouhood and found no feathers or any remainings. Is there any chances of survival with less or no water, if it wandered away?

Sorry, she is missing since friday. The chickens and duck are not locked up in that night. The compound gate was closed and never she left the compound in the one and half years.

She is an unknown breed, mostly mixed for native breeds.

Last edited:
Sorry, she is missing since friday. The chickens and duck are not locked up in that night. The compound gate was closed and never she left the compound in the one and half years.

She is an unknown breed, mostly mixed for native breeds.
Do you think a person could have got inside the compound and carried her off? duck does make a nice meal to feed a hungry family. I would hate to think someone would do that but you never know.

Is there any where she would've gotten out? Was anything different that morning then how it was when you put her up? Miss Lydia does have a point. I always worry about that with my ducky, we live in a small town with a bunch of loons in the neighborhood and you never know with some people.

If they weren't locked up, it could have been anything. Owl, dog, raccoon, opossum etc. I've had raccoon attacks in the coop (problem is now fixed) and the other birds acted fine. I think daytime attacks freak them out but night time, not as much.

If the bird couldn't fly, I'd say the chances of survival are low. Sorry, just being realistic. If able to fly, survival is possible.

There is no chance for owls, as we don't have large owls here. It might be some dog or some people. She can't fly. Most of the dogs in my neighborhood are familiar to chickens free range on the streets and won't hunt them. Occasionally few hounds will visit from other villages and those might be the culprit here. I still hope that she found a safe place and will return.

It is hard to accept her loss.

There is no chance for owls, as we don't have large owls here. It might be some dog or some people. She can't fly. Most of the dogs in my neighborhood are familiar to chickens free range on the streets and won't hunt them. Occasionally few hounds will visit from other villages and those might be the culprit here. I still hope that she found a safe place and will return. It is hard to accept her loss.
I hope she comes home too, sad when we lose one.

Back
Top Bottom