1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My duck is missing since sunday night, any chance of survival?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shivakumar, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Shivakumar

Shivakumar In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    I saw the duck on sunday night 8pm and the next morning I found it missing. No traces of feathers or blood. She statyed with our 3 month chickens inside our compound. The chickens were staying in the same place and not scared. There are no predators except eagles, crows and cats. The cats only attack the small ones and never bothered with the adults. The duck is 1 and half years old.

I checked our neghbouhood and found no feathers or any remainings. Is there any chances of survival with less or no water, if it wandered away?

2. What kind of duck? Can it fly? Was she locked up that night?

3. Shivakumar

Mar 27, 2012
    Sorry, she is missing since friday. The chickens and duck are not locked up in that night. The compound gate was closed and never she left the compound in the one and half years.

She is an unknown breed, mostly mixed for native breeds.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Do you think a person could have got inside the compound and carried her off? duck does make a nice meal to feed a hungry family. I would hate to think someone would do that but you never know.

5. PetDuck

PetDuck Songster

Jun 11, 2012
    Cleveland, MS
    Is there any where she would've gotten out? Was anything different that morning then how it was when you put her up? Miss Lydia does have a point. I always worry about that with my ducky, we live in a small town with a bunch of loons in the neighborhood and you never know with some people.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If they weren't locked up, it could have been anything. Owl, dog, raccoon, opossum etc. I've had raccoon attacks in the coop (problem is now fixed) and the other birds acted fine. I think daytime attacks freak them out but night time, not as much.

If the bird couldn't fly, I'd say the chances of survival are low. Sorry, just being realistic. If able to fly, survival is possible.

7. Shivakumar

Mar 27, 2012
    There is no chance for owls, as we don't have large owls here. It might be some dog or some people. She can't fly. Most of the dogs in my neighborhood are familiar to chickens free range on the streets and won't hunt them. Occasionally few hounds will visit from other villages and those might be the culprit here. I still hope that she found a safe place and will return.

It is hard to accept her loss.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

I hope she comes home too, sad when we lose one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: