My duck is sick. Pls help.

Angthegooose

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2022
I have a duck about 5 weeks and yesterday was a very hot day. And i accidentally wake up late and realised that my duck had no water left in the water bottle. So i gave him the water and quickly he drink the water. Couple of seconds later he kept falling and having a seizure and idk what to do. I sprinkle a little bit of water and put him in front of the fan to keep him cool. And now he wont eat but this morning he did drink a little bit of water. He couldn't walk and he just keep sleeping.

He could be dehydrated because they're waterfowl and they need a lot of water. Water bottles can't give enough water for them to clean themselves or drink. He could be fainting from lack of water and the amount of heat. It's very important for these young waterfowl to have access to clean water at all times and plenty of it. Don't touch him if hes seizing and clear the way from him so he doesn't get hurt. Give him some time to calm down, drink, cool down, and have a chance to breathe and eat. If hes outside at a younger age, that could be very dangerous as well depending on the set up.... Hope that helps!

He probably had a heat stroke. Give him some sugar water or electrolytes. Keep him in a comfortable (but cool) place. Make sure he has water at ALL times.
I force feed him water mix with vitamin every 10 to 20 minutes because he didn't get up at all. I wanted to give him the sugar water but im unsure. So now i will give him and keep trying. Thank you for replying!.

I force feed him water mix with vitamin every 10 to 20 minutes because he didn't get up at all. I wanted to give him the sugar water but im unsure. So now i will give him and keep trying. Thank you for replying!.
Force feeding him every 10-20 minutes isn't going to be helpful. Just give him some time to calm down and breath.

Also, welcome to BYC!

You say he has a waterbottle. What does that look like? Ducks need to be able to submerge their entire heads in water to clean their eyes, nostrils, and keep cool.
I didn't know ducks need to submerge their whole head to drink. And i don't really have experience taking care of baby ducks this is my first time. I do own a lot of ducks. But i never taking care of baby ducks. I had to taking care of it just because the mama dont care about the eggs so i put them in a incubator i didn't know it will hatch. Can you show me what ducks drink in?
b9ce33ef40244ca963955c1dca8ca57d.jpeg

Force feeding him every 10-20 minutes isn't going to be helpful. Just give him some time to calm down and breath.

Also, welcome to BYC!
Ouh okay so how long do i need him to drink then?. I was worried because he didn't eat. I dont have any vet that take care of duck in my place.

I just keep a large bowl and clean it daily. There are waterers specifically made for ducks though.

If he drank a little water already then that's promising. Place a bowl of water next to him and let him drink what he wants. Just monitor how he's doing and let him rest.

I just keep a large bowl and clean it daily. There are waterers specifically made for ducks though.

If he drank a little water already then that's promising. Place a bowl of water next to him and let him drink what he wants. Just monitor how he's doing and let him rest.
Okay I'll try to do that. Should that be sugar water?. And what if he didn't drink at all what should i do?.

Back
Top Bottom