My duck is sitting on eggs, but i can’t have anymore ducks, what to do?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I let the ducks outside today and one of my hens wanted to go back in the coop to sit on her eggs. The problem is, i can’t have anymore ducks. I gave away most of my other ducks bc there were too many (especially bc they were boys) and I now have 4 ducks left. I don’t have any fertile chicken eggs bc the chickens are too young to lay. I have pheasants that lay eggs, but pheasants aren’t the best animals to hatch. What can I do? I don’t wanna take her eggs away bc i know she’s broody and i would feel bad just taking them from her. What can I do? Can I just buy some fertile eggs that come from a different species of birds? I’m not sure if there’s someplace nearby that sells any fertile eggs and if I order any online, i’m afraid they’ll explode or something bc of the hot weather.

Is she determined to sit there? Or is this for her like something that's only gonna last a week ?

Yes, you need to take the eggs from her. Eventually she will get over it and move on. I've also heard that dunking the bird in cold water will shock her out of it, though I have never had the pleasure of trying it. However, there are places like Deer Run Farm (where I ordered some purebred Ameraucanas a while ago) that sell fertilized chicken eggs you can order.

Back
Top Bottom