My Duck is Twictching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mac&cheese, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Mac&cheese

Mac&cheese Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    My ducks wings are twitching it looks almost like a nervous twitch has anyone ever seen this, and why does it happen?

Thanks!

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    can you give a little more information, how old they are and how often they do this?

i have 8 ducks, trying to figure out if this is something i have seen mine do or not. thanks!

wendy

3. Mac&cheese

Oct 9, 2008
    Well they just started doing it this afternoon, i was outside in my back yard and I was looking at them and they were just setting there and all of a sudden there wings just started twitching back and forth. It didn't seem to bother them at all. I picked one up and itched under her wings a bit and checked for bugs but i didn't see anything. I pushed on her a little bit to see if it was causing pain and she just sat there. So I don't know exactly what is happening, but it has stopped. I would love to know what it is and if there is anything I can do about it. hope that helps

Thanks!
    Nicole

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    well i did not see a age in your response. but i am taking that if you can pick them up they are still fairly young.

i can remember ours doing that when they were very young when there wings were small. i did not look to see where you are. do you use a light if they are young? are they getting wet? i am just wondering if they are getting kind of chilly. that is the only time i remember ours doing anything like that. i know you really should not let them get wet till they get all there feathers. and we had a lamp on them at night. during the day while ours were younger it was warm and we did not need the light during the day after about 2 weeks.

hope this helps.

wendy

5. Mac&cheese

Oct 9, 2008
    They aren't young, I got them in march. Ther are fully featherd and swim in their pool all the time. But it was 80 here in michigan today, so i don't think they would be cold. maybe it was just a one time thing. I hope so. I hate to think it would be something neurological

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    they do some funny things. i know our females have started walking behind the drakes with there head kind of down and nodding and they follow them around like this for awhile! [​IMG]

who knows then if your temperature is around 80 and they are not that young!

i went to get a book awhile back on ducks, story's guide to raising ducks, but they did not have it at BAM. i need to check again or just order it myself.

wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by