My Duck is Twictching

Mac&cheese

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
My ducks wings are twitching it looks almost like a nervous twitch has anyone ever seen this, and why does it happen?

Thanks!

can you give a little more information, how old they are and how often they do this?

i have 8 ducks, trying to figure out if this is something i have seen mine do or not. thanks!

wendy

Well they just started doing it this afternoon, i was outside in my back yard and I was looking at them and they were just setting there and all of a sudden there wings just started twitching back and forth. It didn't seem to bother them at all. I picked one up and itched under her wings a bit and checked for bugs but i didn't see anything. I pushed on her a little bit to see if it was causing pain and she just sat there. So I don't know exactly what is happening, but it has stopped. I would love to know what it is and if there is anything I can do about it. hope that helps

Thanks!
Nicole

well i did not see a age in your response. but i am taking that if you can pick them up they are still fairly young.

i can remember ours doing that when they were very young when there wings were small. i did not look to see where you are. do you use a light if they are young? are they getting wet? i am just wondering if they are getting kind of chilly. that is the only time i remember ours doing anything like that. i know you really should not let them get wet till they get all there feathers. and we had a lamp on them at night. during the day while ours were younger it was warm and we did not need the light during the day after about 2 weeks.

hope this helps.

wendy

They aren't young, I got them in march. Ther are fully featherd and swim in their pool all the time. But it was 80 here in michigan today, so i don't think they would be cold. maybe it was just a one time thing. I hope so. I hate to think it would be something neurological

they do some funny things. i know our females have started walking behind the drakes with there head kind of down and nodding and they follow them around like this for awhile!
hu.gif

who knows then if your temperature is around 80 and they are not that young!

i went to get a book awhile back on ducks, story's guide to raising ducks, but they did not have it at BAM. i need to check again or just order it myself.

wendy

Back
Top Bottom