My duck is unable to walk

Klhcline

Hatching
Dec 10, 2020
I have a flock of 7 peckin mature ducks and 7, 1-year old chickens. They free range and we have a pond. A night we put up in an enclosure. One of my female ducks didn’t come in Tuesday evening and was found on her back Wednesday morning. She was unable to quack or orient herself to stand / walk. I have given her b12 and some niacin. This was not a quick onset, she had been a bit wobbly but had been staying with the flock.I have kept her inside in a box and she isn’t eating much. Head wobbles and seems her equilibrium is off. Watery poop with some green. I would appreciate any help!

I have a flock of 7 peckin mature ducks and 7, 1-year old chickens. They free range and we have a pond. A night we put up in an enclosure. One of my female ducks didn’t come in Tuesday evening and was found on her back Wednesday morning. She was unable to quack or orient herself to stand / walk. I have given her b12 and some niacin. This was not a quick onset, she had been a bit wobbly but had been staying with the flock.I have kept her inside in a box and she isn’t eating much. Head wobbles and seems her equilibrium is off. Watery poop with some green. I would appreciate any help!
1606528697615.jpg

I am familiar to ducks but not this issue, so I will just say that I hope someone is able to provide more insight as to what may be going on. A few helpful things you can do for now:
Pictures and video of this would be very helpful though you've done a great job explaining it. Pictures of stool included. What exactly have they been eating feed wise, if you give them in between free-ranging? Is there a chance the sweet thing could've gotten into something toxic?

(A big welcome to BYC, though I'm sorry it was due to this issue!)

@Klhcline

Could you post a video of the duck trying to get around? TO post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

What is her main diet? What brand of vitamin B supplements are you giving her, and at what dose?

Have you checked her legs, for any swelling discoloration, warm spots, or lesions?

Do you have pictures of her poop?

Is there any nails, screws, or any other metal that may be laying around their pen area? Where are you located in the world?

I had a female pekin who also experienced the same symptoms and sadly died only a day after I noticed. Im very sorry you had to lose her, sometimes these things happen before they can be fixed. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom