My duck laid a Egg, HELP!

cowetatina

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2016
Newnan, Georgia
My duck laid our very first egg in her play pool, what do I do? I took it out of the pool and put it in there house. Now they won't go in. I have no idea of what to do. Help please

Congrats on the first egg! There's not really much to do unless you want to incubate it. Otherwise, just eat it (or toss it out if you don't want to eat a pool egg, lol) :)

Last edited:
She laid it in the pool and it was there at least 8-10 hours before we found it. Can it still be incubated ? Do ducks not sit on the eggs to hatch them? If they have to be thank you baited how do you baby ducks form in nature? I am so new to this I really don't know what to do.

Ducks do sit on their eggs to hatch them, but certain breeds have had this instinct bred out of them and do not. Ducks will only do it if they are triggered to by their hormones, same as chickens. When they do decide to sit, they will make a nest, lay a clutch, and when they decide they have enough eggs then they will start to brood.

What breed are your ducks?

After being in the pool for 10 hours I'm not sure that it would do well being incubated but if you have an incubator you could try and see what happens.

Last edited:
I think they are mallards. They are rescues and I don't know a lot about ducks. The rescue group just needed a fast home and ask if I would take them. I followed the little bit of advice they gave. I have added a photo Thank you for any advice you can offer. I

I think they are mallards. They are rescues and I don't know a lot about ducks. The rescue group just needed a fast home and ask if I would take them. I followed the little bit of advice they gave. I have added a photo Thank you for any advice you can offer. I

The female might be a mallard, but the male is not. He is colored like a Welsh Harlequin, so I'm, guessing that's what he is. Or possibly a silver appleyard if he's quite big. Your female might actually be a rouen as well, depending on her size.

The good news is both of those breeds are prone to go broody and hatch eggs, so you may well have ducklings in your future.

I put hay in the house and formed a low nest and put her last egg in there. I did not save the egg from the pool.
Hopefully she will sit on this one at some point. She has ignored it so far. Thank you for your advice.

Around the end of December, we noticed our ducks started to lay. We have 2, a Cayuga and a Saxony. They got up to 15 eggs and my Saxony started to brood. But for whatever reason, she abandoned them and they didn't make it. Since then, twice I've let them collect their eggs instead of picking them. But they show no more interest in brooding. The last 3 days, they either haven't laid at all of are hiding a new nest from me lol. Not sure. I have 13 hens and I've let them collect eggs also but they don't show any interest in brooding. :(

Back
Top Bottom