My duck laid her first egg!

They are crushed up and I got a big tub at tractor supply. I am sure they are probably sold at other places. I asked about age because I read if they are all the same age it won't hurt to switch them when the first one lays an egg.

My five month old pekin just laid her first egg this morning (so exciting!!) and I was wondering the same things! She's been eating Dumor layer crumbles for around a month now because the protein percentage was recommended for her breed on the bag, so is that fine to stick with or should she be fed something different?

Also, when's the best time to take the egg from her? I don't know if they know it's not a chick and she won't get upset about it or something but I also wouldn't want it to go bad if I leave it with her too long

My five month old pekin just laid her first egg this morning (so exciting!!) and I was wondering the same things! She's been eating Dumor layer crumbles for around a month now because the protein percentage was recommended for her breed on the bag, so is that fine to stick with or should she be fed something different?

Also, when's the best time to take the egg from her? I don't know if they know it's not a chick and she won't get upset about it or something but I also wouldn't want it to go bad if I leave it with her too long

She should be fine on the layer crumble. She should only get upset about you taking her egg if she goes broody and wants to hatch her eggs. I wait until mine are out of the duck house where they lay so that they have privacy while laying. I do not think it matters though.

She should be fine on the layer crumble. She should only get upset about you taking her egg if she goes broody and wants to hatch her eggs. I wait until mine are out of the duck house where they lay so that they have privacy while laying. I do not think it matters though.

Okay great thank you! And what should I actually do with the eggs to clean them off just soap and water? And then they can just be stored like normal eggs?

No, they do not eat at a set time. They play for the majority of the day and then in the evening/night/morning they eat when they please. Could I just put calcium powder on a watermelon for the one duck and then leave the other duck with a plain watermelon?

It's OK to give layer feed to ducks a month before they are of laying age. So at about 16 months I give all my ducks the same feed. 20-25 weeks is the marker of when a duck will lay its first egg.

How are your ducks doing?

Congrats! How exciting! The first egg moment is indeed priceless.

Yes, you should switch up the feed for layers. If you can afford it this is an excellent choice.

You're correct about her needing calcium. Remember, you are what you eat so it is worth investing in keeping her in tip top shape. If you break down the cost, it is clearly justifiable to go the whole nine yards.

Make sure that she always has fresh clean water at all times. They tend to drink more frequently when laying.

Cheers.
No! People don't realize but just because it says organic doesn't mean it is... You are probably saying "Whaaat?" Its the same thing with human food, unless it has a USDA Certified Organic Label on it. Without the label on (animal food or human food) it, they can say its organic but only 1 thing in it has to be organic in it, in order to say organic. Please be careful! This is 100% organic (http://www.efowl.com/Organic_Layer_Pellet_Chicken_Feed_p/4004.htm) and this is NOT (http://www.efowl.com/50_Lbs_Organic_Layer_Mash_16_Protein_p/304-1188.htm) see how the second one doesn't have a USDA label, it means its not 100% organic.... So make sure you don't suggest that to anyone else please , @AlohaDuck

No! People don't realize but just because it says organic doesn't mean it is... You are probably saying "Whaaat?" Its the same thing with human food, unless it has a USDA Certified Organic Label on it. Without the label on (animal food or human food) it, they can say its organic but only 1 thing in it has to be organic in it, in order to say organic. Please be careful! This is 100% organic (http://www.efowl.com/Organic_Layer_Pellet_Chicken_Feed_p/4004.htm) and this is NOT (http://www.efowl.com/50_Lbs_Organic_Layer_Mash_16_Protein_p/304-1188.htm) see how the second one doesn't have a USDA label, it means its not 100% organic.... So make sure you don't suggest that to anyone else please , @AlohaDuck

Hold on....that link is wrong! I've just noticed that...the link I had in my post goes to the wrong one. So strange.

I agree with you about the organic feeds...therefore this is why I use only this! http://www.scratchandpeck.com/product/naturally-free-layer/ Certified Organic Feed by....yes it's chicken feed lol...and? The nutrition ratios are awesome. Just make sure for the starter feed to supplement the niacin for the first 7 weeks. That's all.

It's the most cost efficient, truly organic and of the highest quality that I could find...I've tried them all...I've even visited their company. (The organic feed that I use.)

When it comes to organic feed and providing the best for our quakers, I don't take short cuts so don't think for once that I do lol. Most people would call me overboard, but I'm stubborn in making sure my ducks receive the best. From truly organic food (starter, maintenance to layer) with all proper amounts of vitamins, minerals and grit, apple cider vinegar, diatomaceous earth (food grade) to filtered water (unit hooked up to my hose)....I'm not a normal human duck.

I'm proud to be OCD. At the end of the day, "You are what they eat!"

So I have no idea what happened with that link, because it's going to a different site now! So strange...I'll edit that.

Last edited:
Hold on....that link is wrong! I've just noticed that...the link I had in my post goes to the wrong one. So strange.

I agree with you about the organic feeds...therefore this is why I use only this! http://www.scratchandpeck.com/product/naturally-free-layer/ Certified Organic Feed by....yes it's chicken feed lol...and? The nutrition ratios are awesome. Just make sure for the starter feed to supplement the niacin for the first 7 weeks. That's all.

It's the most cost efficient, truly organic and of the highest quality that I could find...I've tried them all...I've even visited their company. (The organic feed that I use.)

When it comes to organic feed and providing the best for our quakers, I don't take short cuts so don't think for once that I do lol. Most people would call me overboard, but I'm stubborn in making sure my ducks receive the best. From truly organic food (starter, maintenance to layer) with all proper amounts of vitamins, minerals and grit, apple cider vinegar, diatomaceous earth (food grade) to filtered water (unit hooked up to my hose)....I'm not a normal human duck.

So I have no idea what happened with that link, because it's going to a different site now! So strange...I'll edit that.
Yes that brand is way better... No GMO and USDA approved!

I bet the site changed their layout since that was a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom