My duck pooped something.... not normal. Maybe garbled egg membrane?

Enten4life

Songster
Nov 16, 2020
Southern California
This was hanging out of Norbie's cloaca, and it's the second time something weird has been pooped out. A week or so a go, a long string of egg membranes was stuck in her, and then today, THIS (below photos, kind of gross, beware).

Post searches indicate a broken egg in a lot of cases (and she has pooped a broken egg before) but this thing is a sealed "cyst" like thing. Some dark red liquid was inside.

She has laid eggs in between the two events, and she's still as ornery as ever, so her personality hasn't been affected. Is this more egg membrane??? Is there a suggestion of what is happening to her? I'll probably be taking her to the vet this week to be sure, but I'm worried :\

1614534689320.png
1614534704061.png

1614534717898.png
1614534732405.png

My duck had something similar once, but it was stuck to her oviduct and had to be surgically removed. Our vet had us start environmental changes to stop reproductive activity, I'm not sure if that was because the, "egg thing," was dangerous or the fact that it got stuck inside her was dangerous.

Personally, I would consult an avian vet - if you have one available to you. But I always consult our vet. 😃

To me, it looks like a soft-shelled membrane that collapsed in her oviduct, and was eventually expelled, but stuck to her vent, and dried. Caseous material as a result of an oviduct infection is also a possibility. Here is a picture of caseous material I extracted from a Pekin duck.

1614542370750.png

If you have access to a veterinarian that would be the most preferred route to take. If you receive any more of the material, collect it, and store it in a sterile container and bring it with you.

She's laid shell-less before so maybe. And I don't care what it takes to save her. I don't have her for her eggs. This were just a bonus (assumed she was a he since those are the odds with hatched eggs).

The vet can't see her until Thursday, so I'm just going to watch them like a hawk .... wait, I don't like that metaphor. There are hawks that have landed in my yard, and they stalk us from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom