My duck problem

Matthew Meier

Hatching
Dec 15, 2020
I have a lonely duck that can't make friends! I got two ducks a couple months back and I was enjoying them until one died from an unknown problem. As any duck owner I had to give my duck company until I got him another friend but... My duck got so attached to me he will try to murder or run away from any duck he sees. He hated every animal and will protect me against my own dogs... Wtf do I do

Did you get another male or a female? Hormones would eventually take over where he would accept the female. If it is another male, there is a possibility he might not accept the other male.

Ducks need to be introduced gradually. First where they can see each other but not interact. Then you allow them to have time out in the yard together. Then they share the coop with barrier to keep them separated. Then they share the coop. Depending on the ducks, each step takes about a week or so. As long as no blood is drawn, the integration is successful. They can take a while to fully accept one another, from days, weeks or months.

I have a lonely duck that can't make friends! I got two ducks a couple months back and I was enjoying them until one died from an unknown problem. As any duck owner I had to give my duck company until I got him another friend but... My duck got so attached to me he will try to murder or run away from any duck he sees. He hated every animal and will protect me against my own dogs... Wtf do I do
So your "duck" is actually a drake? How old is he?
It seems he has imprinted on you after his friend died and sees every other duck - or animal- as a competitor. I have no experience with such a behavior, i can only guess he needs time to heal, so be patient with him. Ducks can grieve and grieve can make them aggressive.
Let the ducks see but not touch each other for some time so that they can get used to each other. @Miss Lydia do you have experienced a situation like this before?

Back
Top Bottom