My duck was attacked by my dog

Brittanyr

Hatching
May 4, 2021
Hi everyone first time posting here, my 6 week old duck Louie was attacked by my dog on sunday. He has a couple wounds on his head it doesn't look like it punctured through tho. he lost a claw on his left foot and has a couple cuts on the bottom of the right foot he refuses to put any weight on his legs to walk he will stand on them in the bath though. I clean up the wounds with hydrogen peroxide one day 1, and neosporin after that. He had some brusing on his head too and some swelling on the breast under the head.
He is still drinking and eating some, not as much as usual though. Any time would be great

Last edited:
Photos

Attachments

• 20210502_142626.jpg
    20210502_142626.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210502_155610.jpg
    20210502_155610.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 9
I just dealt with something similar a week ago (loose dogs, not mine, attacked my ducks). I had my duck sleeping in a dog crate in my warm garage for a week to keep an eye on her and tend to her injuries. She wasn't amused, but it seemed to help. I was able to monitor her eating, drinking, pooping, etc as well as give her wounds a few days to start healing without getting gross outside.
Thankfully other than a slightly wonky wing now, she seems fine. Hope your duck is okay!

Shock will usually cause some temporary reluctance to eat, and drink, but this tends resolves itself soon and you should be noticing the duck drinking, and eating normally. In the case, the bird is not eating, or drinking enough it should see a veterinarian, or be crop fed.
Looking at the injuries, I don't think you will have to worry much about that turning to be the case. Hydrogen peroxide will often impede wound healing, so try to stick with the Neosporin you have, or simply flush it with saline daily. Let us know how the duck does.

Louie is still not doing well, he will not walk, refuses to eat and barely drinks we are syringe feeding him water and some mushed up food but he's really weak. I got some electrolytes for his water and some nutri-drench today at TSC. This happened almost a week ago, it will be 1 week on Sunday

Any other suggestions there isn't a bird vet around me to take him to.

Dogs, cats and other predators all have gram negative bacteria in their mouths that can cause pretty serious infections and sepsis in smaller animals. He may need antibiotics.

If he's refusing food and water he desperately needs a vet who can administer iv fluids and see if there's anything damaged internally. He won't survive long with only small amounts of food and water. I hope everything gets better for him & you. Keep us posted!

@Brittanyr , If you are unable to see a vet, I suggest you start collecting tube feeding supplies today, so you can properly hydrate the duck, and maintain its nutritional status.
When a bird is not eating we have to compensate for the predicted loss of body heat output; so if he is not, you should move the duck into a moderately warm room.
If you can get tube feeding supplies, we will start off by correcting the fluid deficit, then administer daily maintenance fluids to prevent the bird from going downhill again.
Nutritional support along the lines of tube feeding a formula daily would also be suggested as well as antibiotics.
You can find all the supplies you need for tube feeding here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/
Antibiotics:
https://allbirdproducts.com/product...aytril used for,Infections and many many more.

1620469217282.png

Back
Top Bottom