My duckling beak looks sick (Infection?)

DuckMike

Hatching
May 1, 2023
My pekin duckling has this blisters on the sides of his beak with withe-ish spots 2 days ago, he eats and behaves normally so i wasn't worried. But today one of the blisters leaked a yellow fluid, and im scared it may be an infection.
I'm very far from any veterinary, but I want to know if this requires inmmediate treatment from a professional.
Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• ducklingblis.jpg
    ducklingblis.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41
That does not look good has the duckling been sticking it’s bill in fencing or under fencing? Are you still using heat? How do you have it set up? Have you been treating with anything? Do you have any antibiotic ointment or Veterycin?

That does not look good has the duckling been sticking it’s bill in fencing or under fencing? Are you still using heat? How do you have it set up? Have you been treating with anything? Do you have any antibiotic ointment or Veterycin?
I honestly don't know if he has been sticking it's bill into fencing or under it, I noticed the blisters when i was coming back from work so i don't know what caused them I'm not using heat , He was in my backyard with my male pekin duck (5 months) and my female muscovy (4months) i have not noticed any sign of aggresion towards the duckling.
i'm keeping him indoors with me and I don't have any ointment nor antibiotic

I honestly don't know if he has been sticking it's bill into fencing or under it, I noticed the blisters when i was coming back from work so i don't know what caused them I'm not using heat , He was in my backyard with my male pekin duck (5 months) and my female muscovy (4months) i have not noticed any sign of aggresion towards the duckling.
i'm keeping him indoors with me and I don't have any ointment nor antibiotic
First off, was he loose with this drake and muscovy?
Drakes will rape ducklings and cause horrendous damage to them, they shouldn't be together until sexually mature at around 4 months. It's very possible that the drake injured him, or the muscovy even.
Second, this duckling looks pretty young, isn't feathered, being outdoors definitely still requires some form of heat.

His feet look curled up, are they always like that?
It's good that you've brought him inside, definitely keep him in
Could you buy some triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?

First off, was he loose with this drake and muscovy?
Drakes will rape ducklings and cause horrendous damage to them, they shouldn't be together until sexually mature at around 4 months. It's very possible that the drake injured him, or the muscovy even.
Second, this duckling looks pretty young, isn't feathered, being outdoors definitely still requires some form of heat.

His feet look curled up, are they always like that?
It's good that you've brought him inside, definitely keep him in
Could you buy some triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?
I didn't know that drakes could do such a thing, that was imprudent by me, thanks for letting me know
I didn't think it needed it since the average temperature here is 31 Celsius but indoors I know he may need it, and his feet aren't always like that he walks without any problem
Yes, I can and I will buy an antibiotic ointment or Veterycin,
Thanks all of you for your help and concern!

I didn't know that drakes could do such a thing, that was imprudent by me, thanks for letting me know
I didn't think it needed it since the average temperature here is 31 Celsius but indoors I know he may need it, and his feet aren't always like that he walks without any problem
Yes, I can and I will buy an antibiotic ointment or Veterycin,
Thanks all of you for your help and concern!
Ah I see, with that sort of climate he should be okay without heat, then
No worries, not sure what else to suggest treatment wise, but you should get more feedback soon
Good luck with him!

We recently had/have a pekin duckling that squeezed out of our run fencing and damaged his bill too. We put him on keflex at 50mg/kg of body weight. He was 500g, or .5kg, so that makes 25 MG per dose 2x a day. He is clearing up nicely and we hope to have him back with the group this week.
20230426_182805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom